Tires & Wheels What wheels are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Looking for advice on alloy wheels

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 07:53 PM
Trainchaser
Unregistered
Default Looking for advice on alloy wheels

...if you guys don't mind, instead of retyping out all of the question I couldn't get any answers to on another forum, I'm just going to basically paste it into my post with a few changes, so if you saw it over there it may look familiar...

anyway, here's my question:

First some background, the clear coat finish on the stock alloy rims of my '05 EXL is starting to peel off, in making inquiries I've found it will be cheaper to get new rims as opposed to refinishing the stock rims. So I started to look at what was available and I'm now totally confused...

...what is the most durable finish? Who makes the strongest rims? Which wheels are "best"?
...it appears many are now made in China, so I guess that can't be a detracting factor anymore...
...five spoke wheels is ideally what I want, fortunately there seems to be lots of those...
...I'd like to stay with 16 x 7" rims...
...ease of maintenance is very important as well...
...it seems that a painted finish is more durable, any comments?
...there's just too many choices, I really don't have much of a clue which way to go or who to ask in order to find information...
...so I'd like to ask you guys here, can you draw on your collective and vast pool of information and experiences and help me out with some answers?
...I'm looking forward to see what suggestions you come up with...

thanks and cheers,

Lorne Miller
05 EX-L deep green pearl with ivory
96 Odyssey taffeta white with sage

Old 05-21-2009, 07:36 AM
Super Moderator

Painted finish seems more durable. Plus, they're better for touching up small chips. You can probably go to an auto-paint place & get paint that matches pretty good.

BBS makes forged rims, really strong. REALLY pricey for the actual forged ones.

I kinda like the looks of the basket style like BBS with all the crossed spokes, but they're a real pain to wash. 5-spoke FTW.

Old 06-29-2009, 02:03 AM
Administrator
Talking

I guess he's done with the questions Jimmy me Man..I PM'd him with this wheel ..seems as tho he asked for wheels like this ..but no answer..

How You Doin?
I'm getting better!

WheelBrokerAng

Attached Thumbnails Looking for advice on alloy wheels-lugnutz-0605-005.jpg  
Old 06-29-2009, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by WheelBrokerAng
How You Doin?
I'm getting better!

WheelBrokerAng
Glad to hear it! I've gotta clean out my PM messages. Once upon a time, Patrick said he was gonna give me a larger quota, temporarily, so I could actually read them & delete the garbage. I guess I'll have to figure out how to delete them without reading them.