Tires & Wheels What wheels are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Mirada Sport GTX Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 02:43 PM
Default Mirada Sport GTX Tires?

Has anyone ever had Mirada Sport GTX tires? Any input if these are any good? I wanted to get Falkens cause I saw a lot of good reviews from guys on here, but I can't find a single tire dealer around here that sells Falkens. I could buy Falkens online, but I really wanted to go ahead and get some new rubber before I take a 400 mile road trip this weekend.
My current tires have worn down bad on the outsides, but still have alot of tread left on the insides (all 4 of em) I know I am probably out of balance, or alignment, or camber, casteror toe in...whichever one of those would cause excessive outer wear. The wheelstarts shaking at about 60mph, and I know that usually means out of balance or a bent wheel. I was just going to take it to the trusty local tire shop and checked to see what exactly could be causing this andif I could still use them, but I fear they are too worn on the outside to salvage. What are your thoughts?

Old 04-26-2007, 02:53 PM
Default RE: Mirada Sport GTX Tires?

Oh they are made by Yokohama.... I can't find any reviews on them but Yoko's are supposed to be pretty good.... It doesn't look like they are a widely used tire so I'm not going to be much help there..... I'm REALLY suprised that no one carries Falken, call Costco or Walmart if you've got one nearby....

Old 04-26-2007, 04:27 PM

Yeah I thought they were made by Yokohama, but I wasn't positive. They want $351.88 mounted & balanced. If I spend the dough, I guess I'll make sure to get the suspension checked to make sure there aren't any problems. I sure don't want these ones wearing like crapon the outsides.
Wal Mart doesn't carry Falkens down here in MS. We don't have any Costco's in MS either.
I just checked Falken's web site. Looks like there are two "dealers" they list (one of them is Sears.) I'm gonna call them & get a price quote.

Old 04-26-2007, 04:41 PM

Called Sears. They said the Falkens weren't in stock today but they are expecting a shipment in. The guy told me they were on special for around $65 a piece. I was thinking"that's not too shabby." When I asked how much for a set of 4 mounted and balanced....get ready for this.....he said it was like $720! I'm thinking, how in the hell should it cost that much for mounting & balancing? I didn't ask him why, I just said "OK thanks" and hung up. Should I call back later and ask if I misunderstood him on the price? The other dealer Falken's web site listed doesn't sell em anymore. How much should it reallycost for mounting and balancing?

Old 04-26-2007, 05:25 PM

Mount and balance should only be like 8-12$ per tire.... If he didn't misquote the price (unless he was including an alignment or some crap...) then find out how in the world 4 tires at $65.00 each ($260.00) require $460.00 worth of installation work and crap.... You should be able to get those 4 tires mounted and balanced for $300.00 and the really crappy thing is that most places will do it for really cheap... I'd ask the shop that quoted you a price on the yoko's how much they'd charge to mount/balance the 4 tires then buy them from Sears and have the other shop install them

Old 04-26-2007, 05:57 PM

Yeah I was thinking of doing that. Of course..it could have just been a misquote. I thought mounting & balancing shouldn't be but around $10 per tire. I'm gonna call back late this afternoon to ask if the shipment came in yet. He said if not this afternoon it should be in tomorrow. I'll ask him flat out how much they charge simply for a mount & balance. I just wonder if I need anything else done on the car to prevent the uneven wear on the tires. One tire shop guy said it would be a good idea to have them check out the suspension to make sure there aren't any problems. I guess I'll also ask how much an alignment is. I thought they had to do an alignment anyway when they installed new tires?

Old 04-26-2007, 06:07 PM

They don't have to do an alignment with new tires but it usually runs about $60-$80 for a full alignment... I'd just ask them what they would charge to inspect the suspension etc. while they are doing the tires...

Old 04-26-2007, 07:59 PM

ok, thanks nasty

Old 04-26-2007, 10:12 PM

So.....I went to get my oil changed after work at my usual oil change place. I didn't realize they did balances and rotations. So the guy says I am due for a rotation, and I tell him the story about my tires. He looks at the tires and says he doesn't think I need to replace them.....he just figures if I rotate and balance them the problem maylikely go away. So I figured what the heck rotation and balance was only about $25 anyway. I sat there and talked to him while he was rotating the tires and I looked at the tires when they were off the car. Turns out the tread on the outsides wasn't even as bad as I thought. I don't know what I was looking at wrong last night. Anyway....when he goes to balance them he said "yeah the from left one was way out of whack and the right one was out of whack too. When I left I got it up to about 75mph and no shakes whatsoever in the steering wheel anymore
Glad I didn't spend the $ on new tires when it turns out I didn't really need them anyway. I feel like a dunce though....all that worrying for nothing.
Well at least now I know I want to buy Falkens so some time I'll just buy em online and keep them in the garage till it's time to put them on. Lesson learned.