Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

1993 Accord starts then shuts off immediately

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2024, 01:52 PM
Default 1993 Accord starts then shuts off immediately

Hi,

All of this happened with my fuel at about 1/8 of a tank. This started yesterday when my car shut off while idling at a stop. I put it in neutral, and got it rolling and was able to start it again. I noticed that at low speeds/idling, my tac and speedometer jumped.

Arriving home, I have to drive up my hill. Halfway up, I lost a lot of acceleration power and eventually the engine shut off. Parked on the slope of the hill, it now starts and then immediately shuts off.

Additionally, (and this was not a problem before these other problems arrose) my accessory won't turn on unless I get the key turned to a very specific spot, press, and hold it there.

All of these problems arrose suddenly and altogether

Old 05-08-2024, 12:41 AM

Hey there,
I am somewhat new to working on cars but have had a bit of experience. It may just be that your tank is too low and with the tilt of the hill it is struggling to pick up the fuel to pump. If this issue still persists then you may have burnt out/damaged your fuel pump and may need to replace it. I would also check the fuses just to be sure as that's one of the cheapest things you can hope for. If possible you can also take your car to AutoZone/O'Reilly's to get a scanner which may point you in the right direction. Keep in mind I am still somewhat new to working on cars so don't go replacing your fuel pump without knowing as I can be wrong.