General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1990 accord ex oil sending unit

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 02:38 PM
Default 1990 accord ex oil sending unit

Got me a leak from this unit. I think...Its the one above the filter on the 1990 accord ex...

I have a few questions.....
#1 How do you remove the wire from the terminal? THe rubber boot seems to be on it pretty tight. Can it be popped off with a screwdriver under it?

#2 Any idea to the sive socket needed to remove the unit?

#3 should i place a little teflon tape on the threads of the new one before I install?

#4 Proper torque for the new unit??

Thanks a bunch...

mks

Old 02-27-2006, 03:49 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: 1990 accord ex oil sending unit

i havent really seen the sender leak on your model. but....the oil filter housing i do. you should send a pm to deserthonda and see what he thinks.

Old 02-27-2006, 03:53 PM

oil filter housing???
Can you give a ltte more info????
How to determine this vs. sending unit?
Is it difficult to replace????

thanks...
mike

Old 02-27-2006, 04:02 PM

i have to go to class right now i will post a little later though

Old 02-27-2006, 05:03 PM

hey thanks alot. Appreciate it...
will look for later post......gotta fix it. With the snow melting, the drive is getting ugly...

Old 02-27-2006, 05:03 PM

ORIGINAL: stigedis

Got me a leak from this unit. I think...Its the one above the filter on the 1990 accord ex...

I have a few questions.....
#1 How do you remove the wire from the terminal? THe rubber boot seems to be on it pretty tight. Can it be popped off with a screwdriver under it?

#2 Any idea to the sive socket needed to remove the unit?

#3 should i place a little teflon tape on the threads of the new one before I install?

#4 Proper torque for the new unit??

Thanks a bunch...

mks
# 1 get a screwdriver and pry on the rubber boot, those boots get very hard with time anf heat so it might brake , if it does no big deal, once boot is off, remove the wire, you might have to pry on it a bit,

# 2 the size i believe is a 24mm ,, it has been a while since i replaced one of those,

# 3 , you cvan use a bit of teflon tape or honda bond on the threads

# 4 do not worry about the torque, just thighten it, but do not overtighten it ..

As for what lightshow was saying some years and model have an oil cooler or oil filter hopusing, i have seena few of those seals leak,
If leak is coming from above the oil filter than it is the oil sending unit,... Once replaced clean the area real good, run car , make sure you got no other leaks from the area

Old 02-28-2006, 02:57 PM

wiped oil from the filter on sun. Monday night there is oil there. Seems the sending unit is most likly leaking. But after getting more light on the subject. It appears that perhaps the oil pan too is leaking...or the pan is more so....There appears to be a rubber gasket deal right next to the pan near the pulley. Is this different from the pan gasket??? I am unable to find any schematics of this on the net.....

Does the 1990 hava gasket or hondabond???

Thanks.....
mike

Old 02-28-2006, 08:07 PM

If there is oil above the filter than you got a sending unit leaking, if there is a leak just below the filter and your car has a oil filter housing or cooler than it is from the seal..
If all id dry above filter and just below filter but there is oil around the pan, it could be the oil pan gasket,, yes there is a gasket,, if the leak is only where the teranny meets with the block, it could be the rear main seal leaking, If the leak in only at the lower timing belt cover, it could be, crank seal, balancer shaft seal, or the pan gasket leaking at that frt corner, if you see oil coming down from the rt rear of block ( driver side ) it could be, cam seal, most likely or valve cover gasket...

Clean everything real good,, put some oil dye in the oil, run the engine and locate the leak,,

Old 05-20-2010, 01:42 PM

Thanks for anyone who provided any information on the Oil Pressure Sending Unit/Switch! I had a leak and figured it was the oil filter, because it looks like it is coming from there, after reading the forums, I inspected it.

A little FYI I figured out while working on this.

1.) The shape of the base of the sending unit is such that if the seal breaks, it will spray when you are accelerating which really makes it hard to tell exactly where it is coming from, so clean off everything really well, then run your car and check it again to see where the fresh oil is. (not to mention it will help keep sand and gunk away from your openings)

2.) I the unit that was on my car that was leaking was not the size I had expected it to be, I had to use a 15/16th's to remove and a 29mm to reinstall the new one.

3.) As for the rubber boot, mine ripped ;x, you could probably get a new one cheap but i managed to get my old one back on there.

4.) Whatever sealant you use for the thread sealer, make sure it is oil resistant and high temp. And remember to let it sit on the threads for a bit before installing, and then install and let it sit overnight, or however long your sealant takes to cure.

5.) Use a small 1/2" drive wrench or a universal joint because your average 1/2" drive ratchet will make it hard to fully tighten it

1990 Accord Manual Trans