General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C barely cold

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by TexomaAccord
How do I check that? When I first put air in it, it was freezing cold while filling.. The temp ****, when I turn it to heat, you can hear it "thump" and then it gets extremely hot. I would like to check it though to make sure it is fully closing.
On the passengers side at the floor near the center console there is a black practic vent cover that you can pop off. There are two control levers there. Turn the **** back and forth and you will see the one. Turn the **** to cold and then reach down there and make sure it is fully closed. I usually just leave the cover off and when A/C is required I can just reach down the and manually close it completely.

Old 07-20-2015, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator

I think there is an adjustment on that cable where you can take up the slack.

Old 07-22-2015, 05:54 AM

There is no adjustment on the rods at the shut off they just get sticky over time and in my opinion aren't worth replacing because there is so much labor involved, provided the person driving the car does not mind manual closing the vent when they want A/C (no cables). But you just made me think of one more thing for them to check... Make sure the hot water shut off valve located on the passengers side, under the hood near the fire wall is fully closed when heat is off. As with many things there might be more then on issue leading to he problem.

Old 07-22-2015, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator

So I pulled the glove box opened, check all the levers and doors, all seem to be working.. Then that little temp control cable, well I followed the cable to the actual door, which is near the floor, above the hump. I worked the lever.. The door moved, but I saw which way was COLD.. And I pushed that sucker with my fingers ALL the way closed.. Turned on the air.. BAM, cold a/c
Originally Posted by Turtlehead
There is no adjustment on the rods at the shut off they just get sticky over time and in my opinion aren't worth replacing because there is so much labor involved, provided the person driving the car does not mind manual closing the vent when they want A/C (no cables). But you just made me think of one more thing for them to check... Make sure the hot water shut off valve located on the passengers side, under the hood near the fire wall is fully closed when heat is off. As with many things there might be more then on issue leading to he problem.
Not sure on the v6.....but the 94 and early 95's had adjustable cables, some where in the production of the 95 they went to "somewhat fixed" cables.

The 95 EX I had did have the adjustable cables. I could adjust them and get things "right" for a month or so. Then here we go with "low cooling".

I threw in the towel and would just remove the cable from the heater control valve under the hood when it got to late spring and run full "AC mode"....make sure the valve was fully closed manually and the blend door was closed off to the evap.

Then in early to mid fall, put everything back....need heat .

So, you could get new cables and see if that keeps everything in "balance". Also pull the "****" that control the heat/cool settings and be sure the base of it is not cracked.....if cracked it might not pull/push the cable enough to fully close/open the blend door...this s another common issue in the 5th gens.

Sorry not much help in solving the issue, just a few ideas and what I went through,,,,,good luck and let us know how it works out,

Old 07-26-2015, 08:53 AM

Here's what they the 4 cylinders do when you overfill the system.

*Warning* video starts off with the Fbomb.

https://youtu.be/GkcrvCYsdVk

I know I have to manually shove mine all the way to cold on a valve just in front of the firewall because the cable doesn't quite get it there...

Old 07-26-2015, 12:27 PM

So I pulled the glove box opened, check all the levers and doors, all seem to be working.. Then that little temp control cable, well I followed the cable to the actual door, which is near the floor, above the hump. I worked the lever.. The door moved, but I saw which way was COLD.. And I pushed that sucker with my fingers ALL the way closed.. Turned on the air.. BAM, cold a/c
That is what I'm talking about! Good to hear it is working. They usually stick in older models and really aren't worth fixing IMO.