Appearance Talk about your Accord's interior and exterior mods here.

front end damage (working thread)

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 02:36 AM

Been a while since I posted on here. I have two questions.

1: Is the A/C blower always...well not so forceful on its highest setting? I have a 98 toyota, or rather my mother does, and her A/C moves your hair (just an easy reverence). Mine does not. It is cold and air is coming out nicely, just not very forceful. Could the blower motor need servicing, or is it even possible to do that? The lady who owned the car before me had dogs and their hair has been in everything.

2: The passenger door window motor is really slow. I've had to replace a few things on the passenger door and I've noticed it getting a lot faster after to removed the old dented window molding and popped the dent out of the top of the door. But it is still lagging a lot until about 1/2 way. It sounds almost as if the motor is actually flipping around? It doesn't hit anything but the motor whine sounds as if it is changing directions, if that makes sense. I have not seen the window motor, but I never really looked for it. the problem was brought to my attention when a friend wanted to roll the window down and it took about 10 seconds.

I fixed the steering finally...or mostly. No one wants to help me align the steering wheel properly and it is about two or three notches off, which is better than 6"! When I tried it first the wheels were not completely straight so it was off about 2" the other way, but now I know what to do so it should be easy! I was kind of nervous because it isn't somethign I want to go wrong when I'm traveling down the freeway, but there have been no failures since the last time :P but seriously, nothing has happened except the electrical failure a few weeks ago.

Old 08-30-2012, 05:57 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Fan should deliver a stiff breeze when on high and upper vents selected. It's possible the evaporator core is dirty, or blend door not functioning. Check air flow on Defrost. If this is low, then you probably have a dirty evaporator.

Cleaning evaporator requires discharging ac and removing evaporator box. It's not terribly hard but you will have to revacuum/recharge AC system.

good luck

Old 08-30-2012, 04:02 PM

Thanks TexasHonda!

Old 07-12-2013, 01:02 AM

Since getting windows tinted the passenger side window doesn't go up or down, at all. Good thing is, I just got paid and I get to buy a new window regulator/motor/assembly thing from amazon! Also, tint made a HUGE difference in the A/C. I actually have to turn it off/down now that I don't have direct sun beating down on me.

This car has been a blast to drive. Very glad I've done all that I have so far to get it going.

Old 03-22-2014, 03:52 AM

I fixed the A/C issue. It turns out that the a/c ductwork was not attached properly and was mainly blowing into the underside of the dash at every connection. The weather stripping where the plastic ductwork and the vent meets were all falling apart/non-existent.

The regulator for the window that I bought was for a 4dr and I never got around to buying a new one! :0

The A/C was acting weird, the switch wasn't going all the way to the cold, so I took the dash apart to find the cable that goes to the temperature control in the engine bay, or wherever it is, and I found out the the plastic parts have a full 1/2" of movement beyond that of the cable that pulls it. I adjusted the cable and now the A/C finally works at the maximum coldness, but whether or not the heater will work remains to be seen!

I've been toying with the idea of making an Android powered radio system too...buying a cheap 7' tablet and making my own dash insert for mounting and stuff...I've started looking for parts everytime I go out...Will make a separate thread for that though.

The next real step is getting it painted though. That should be fun!

Old 08-09-2015, 12:46 AM

So, I finally got it painted!

I love the new color, I can't wait to put it back together.

Attached Thumbnails front end damage (working thread)-img_20150808_205348.jpg   front end damage (working thread)-img_20150808_205405.jpg  
Old 08-09-2015, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

That is looking really nice

Congrats for staying with it

Old 08-11-2015, 02:01 AM

Thanks, I still am not sure if I want to just sell it...but it does look really nice. I am going to actually put everything back on, like the fenders and bumpers, and headlights and the like hopefully tomorrow.

I just got promoted as a Supervisor at starbucks and I am helping open another store in another city. Hopefully with the increased income I can devote a little more time and money to this...even if I did end up buying another car in the meantime.

But for the time being, I have changed a lot of stuff in my life and there is a lot of new beginnings, I hope this is one of them.

I was posting mostly on Honda society for a while but got a little too direct with things being said (I.E. I rebuilt a Vtec, did a swap and apparently I have no idea how to rebuild an engine and I should stop messing with anything serious and go back to basics that I know instead of looking for help online.) It kind of killed my desire to really get it finished. But I put my old engine back into it and painted it and now trying to get things up and running again.

I miss this car, even though I drive a 2013 focus hatchback with a 5spd. It is fun, but I still miss my accord.

Old 08-11-2015, 03:05 AM

"If I do end up having to buy a motor, which accord years can I reliably buy? just 94-97 or are they essentially the same up until 2000?"

Your '96 Accord is a 5th generation... '94 - '97. The 6th generation runs from '98 - 2002. As you may be aware, there are changes in manufacturing that vary from gen-to-gen. As long as we stay within generation, most all parts (including engines) are swap-able

btw: great work you're doing thus far... well done

Last edited by Prospector; 08-11-2015 at 03:08 AM.