Appearance Talk about your Accord's interior and exterior mods here.

HID, is Relay Harness needed?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 09:18 PM
Default HID, is Relay Harness needed?

I'm a relative newbie here and I did try to search for my answer but could not find a post referencing my specific question. I'm looking on Fleabay for some HID's and there are some good sellers with great feedback. Looks like you get some decent pricing on there too. Anyways, what I'm concerned about is that some of them don't offer a Relay harness and the ones that do say it is a must. Here is a quote:

"Let’s say you install the HID ballast directly to where the low beam halogen bulb is connected. Some vehicles might be are able to power up HID system normally without problems at install, but over time it will not last. Startup current for HID Lights is 13 amps per ballast, compared to 7 amps for halogen.
Your factory wiring system is designed for a halogen based headlight which draws 7 amps of current at startup and 4.5 amps continuous load. Over time, connectors, multifunction switch, headlight switch, wiring and fuse holders will slowly degrade because of heat buildup. These components are very expensive to replace. This type of damage could have been avoided with a relay wire harness. With the relay harness power is drawn directly from your battery protecting your factory wiring and expensive ballast."
Yes? No? Most kits don't include it so it is really a big deal? Could it even be a bad thing? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Old 03-29-2008, 03:56 AM
Default RE: HID, is Relay Harness needed?

some cars do need the relay, but our accords don't. i'm guessing it's a plug n' play kit so it'll directly fit to your car's original connectors.
minor tweaks may be needed, such as sanding a tab on connector, drilling a hole to mount the ballast, and sanding/drilling/rubber fitting for the bulb.
and one thing, when installing HIDs, you gotta make sure the the connector from the HID "CLICKS" into the original headlight connector.
hope I was some help to you. I just put mine in and it looks beautiful (8000k)
g' luck =]

Old 03-29-2008, 10:56 AM
19Accord97
Unregistered

I would get a relay kit.
Just my $.02

Old 03-29-2008, 11:20 AM

I was thinking I would error on the safe side too. But I just want to make sure it isn't a BAD thing to have a relay wire harness. Thanks for the replys.

Old 03-29-2008, 11:31 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

^Good thinking

And make sure you do A LOT of reseach before you decide on the seller and other such things.
If your bulb burns out for some off reason (they should last a loooong time), HID bulbs are not cheap to replace.

There are also digital ballasts as well.

My advice, would to look for an HID forum or something of that nature so the experts can guide you!
Let us know what you go w/!

Old 03-30-2008, 01:53 PM

A wire harness is a positive idea, whether you need one or not. Starting an accidental fire under the hood if you could prevent, it is ideal. I'm not necessarily saying that if you don't have one you might start an accidental fire, I'm just saying erring of safty is always good.

StevePhy

Also a good resource for HID info is HIDPlanet, sorry if sending people to other websites is a no-no, but they have great info on one subject - H.I.D.'s

Old 04-05-2008, 08:22 AM

Well, I went with a kit made specifically for a Honda accord. Besides the length of the harness cut to approximate length, and the specific Accord directions, not sure if it is any different than other kits. But the service was great, got someone to respond to emails quickly. The installation was easy once I figured out how to access the low beam. Advice for you folks with the V6, you don't have access the low beam from under the wheel well like the Owners manual advises. You can access everything from the top if you're already taking out the Battery. The instructions I received were for a I4 I believe so that added a little more time, but If I had to do it again, I could probably do it in 20 minutes tops. The lights are so nice, I went with the 6K bulb. The difference from the stock halogens is night and day. This kit cost me $160 shipped to my door. Below are the instructions I received from these guys.

http://aandrmotorsport.com/03_05Hond...tructions.html

Old 04-05-2008, 08:32 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I didn't have the relay kit on the HID's that I had on my Accord, but after some research, I will use one in the future. Basically, over time the initial rush of current (which is approximately double the running current) can damage the switch. The quoted article is essentially correct with minor flaws. Bulbs don't have an ignition charge like HID. They draw their power and that's it. If anything, they have a very quick ramp up, but not an ignition charge. The only problem that I can think of is when I had a relay and high power bulbs, one of the relays got messed up and the bulb didn't shut off. Thisdrained my battery. I ripped out the rrelays and went back to stock bulbs and the problem was solved. Better to risk a blown relay than something in your car's electrical system.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:41 PM

Well IMO I think it would be best to install one. Just because your normal stock headlightt wiring harness won't be good enough. I have a HID kit and installed it to the stock wiring harness. 6 months later boom my ballast was done. The HID kit was 300 bucks so I know it's not cheap. Plus I read the reviews on Genesis HID's before buying them and they're great. I'm not saying this WILL happen to you but theres always that possibility. I had warranty on mine bc the audio shop installed the relay kit themselves and they simply replaced the ballast.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:45 PM

Correction****

I didn't have the kit installed prior to the ballast burning out. I went back installed it and THEN the ballast went out. So I lucked out I did it in time. The problem was that the ballast was already going bad before the kit was installed. Had I installed the kit in the first place everything would've been good.