Appearance Talk about your Accord's interior and exterior mods here.

Painting Wheels: Plastidip + Rustoleum OR Plastidip + Duplicolor?

Old 02-27-2012, 02:35 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Talking Painting Wheels: Plastidip + Rustoleum OR Plastidip + Duplicolor?

I got a Silver '04 Accord EX-V6 with stock alloy wheels, and I want to paint them until I can save enough money to actually buy new ones. This is my car an old picture of my car. I have installed OEM amber foglights, tinted the windows to 15%, and am thinking of using niteshade on the tail lights to black them out and the headlights to smoke them, but I am unsure if I will do that.

I want to paint them bronze. These are the colors of bronze I like:

So I've done some research, but now I'm totally confused.
Plastidip as primer: I like the fact that you dont have to sand the wheel and mess up the factory finish, but I'm afraid that if I don't sand the wheel alittle it wont stick. So if you have used Plastidip let me know how it worked for you, please. Also, I've read that Plastipid reacts to some paints; does anyone know which ones?
Duplicolor Primer: I know you have to sand the wheel for the primer to stick so thats one thing i'm worried about, but am unsure which is better to use as a primer the Duplicolor or the Plastidip.
Rustoleum Wheel Paint: Like I said I want to paint my rims BRONZE and they do not have that color as a wheel paint. I would have to use Rustoleum Metallic Paint - Antique Bronze. This is a picture of the Metallic as a wheel paint:

I like the color these turned out, but IDK about it because its not wheel paint, its just regular paint. If I use plastidip as the primer will it hold better tho?
Duplicolor Wheel Paint: I've heard mixed feelings of this product. Some say it doesnt last long, and others say it works wonders. What are your feelings on all these products. I have never painted rims before which is why i'm leaning towards the plastidip in case it doesnt turn out so hawt, lol.
Let me know the tricks or tips to getting the perfect color like the ones I inserted above.
Please let me know your experience, and any photos would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by chocolatemoomoobaby; 02-27-2012 at 02:42 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:31 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I'm not sure if this is the correct section for this thread. If not can someone move it to the correct section... please.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:50 PM
Almost A Senior Member

I used the Duplicolor. Turned out well. I would use it again.
All depends on how well you do the prep, really,
I didn't have a spare set of wheels so I painted 2 at a time and left the car on jackstands in the garage while the paint dried. 2-3 coats of primer with a wet sand with 400 grit in between.
I also painted the center caps and re-stenciled the "H" on the cap, but the dealer also sells the decal which would have turned out better.
I also used about 3 coats of clearcoat as a finisher, then later a couple of coats of paste wax.
Yeah, I would do it again.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:00 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I dont have a extra set of wheels either so I'll have to leave it on jacks too. How long did it take you to finish the whole set of wheels?
Why wet sand... like you dipped the sandpaper into the water?
Yeah I wouldn't even attempt to stencil the "H" on the center caps. I'd deff buy a sticker, lol.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:40 PM
Almost A Senior Member

I got the 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper at Home Depot. My wheels had a lot of curb rash from the previous owner and I lay'ed the primer on heavy to fill the gaps.
When you smooth out the primer with 400 grit wetsanding the primer gets smooth as glass, the finish coat lays on as a wet coat to bring out the gloss. Do it this way, it turns out really smooth.
Heres the sequence started Saturday morning and finished Sunday 2pm.
Jacked up 1 side of the car and put it on 2 jackstands and removed the wheels, in the garage.
I cleaned the mounted wheels and tires with household cleaner (mr clean) with my plastic scrub brush and rinsed them completely. I used my leaf blower to blow off the excess water and let them dry 1/2 hr in the sun.
I taped off the sidewalls of the tires with masking tape, and trimed the tape around the edges of the rims. and wiped down the wheels with Prep wipes.
3 coats of primer half hr apart and wet sand w/400 grit, then wipe off and use a tack rag.
3 top coats, 15 minutes apart. let dry overnight, then 3 coats of clear the next day.
When the topcoat was curing overnight, I put corrugated boxes over the wheels to keep the dust off.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:53 PM
Almost A Senior Member

I had one part the the paint did flake off, it was around the wheel weight, the weights were on the outside of the rims and I painted right over them, thinking it wouldn't matter. but it must have vibrated loose and the paint fractured.
I now have 6 extra stock rims from a 97 EX. I plan on cleaning and painting a set for my new summer tires, I will paint those with out the tire weights. I was also thinking about having them bead blasted to see how they look.
I'll see if I can get a picture they are down in my store room.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:13 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks man for telling me bout the weights because I would of done the same thing as you... painted over them. lol. You've def helped alot. Yeah get some pics up so I can see what they look like. BTW: Do you know if i use Plastidip if I can sand it?

Old 02-27-2012, 08:14 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Also, does anyone know how to get that bright bronze color like in the second and third pics in my post? I think I'm gonna use plastidip as the primer and it comes in WHITE and BLACK... I know if I use Black it will be darker so I'm assuming White would make it brighter, but I DO NOT want them to be gold so idk what to do. Advice anyone?

Old 02-28-2012, 07:47 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I have used plasticdip as a primer, it works fine.
Use the black - they white sprays like st*t for some reason.

You can use anything you want on top of the plastic dip except for a primer paint.
For some reason primer eats up the plasticdip.

Just spray them with plasticdip black and your color on top

You do know that if you have the tires changed it will pull the plastic dip (most likely) up in spots.

Old 03-02-2012, 05:32 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Yeah. I just got new tires so i wont need any for a while. I got on dipyourcar.com and they have simething called metalizer. Anyone ever used it? I thought bout getting black plastidip and gold metalizer... opinions? Idk bout the silver sittin on gold tho.... anyone got pics of a silver accord on gold rims? Itd help me tons. I figured ill just do plastidip all the way in case i screw up since itd be my first time painting wheels.