Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

09 Accord EX - what to do to improve this horrible stereo?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 07:45 AM
Smudgie
Unregistered
Default 09 Accord EX - what to do to improve this horrible stereo?

I have a 2009 4 dr EX. When I listened to the stereo in the lot it sounded pretty good. Now driving with it I realize how not so good it really is. Being low on cash I do not want to spend lots of money on replacing the head unit and speakers. I went to a car stereo place and they said only way to improve the sound was to spend about $800 at a minimum (speakers, amp, ect). Can I do something cheaper to make a decent improvement? Not looking to be able to have the best system on the block? Will replacing the front speakers and tweeters make a noticable difference? I have priced out Alpine speakers for about $120. Thanks for any input!

Old 09-07-2009, 11:22 AM

Starting out with an aftermarket head unit will give your factory speakers a better overall sound. Good sounding system starts at the source. Compared to factory, there is more amplifier power in an aftermarket headunit. The more power you give the better the speakers can perform. Externall amp you could always do later. Aftermarket headunits also have more tuning options than the bass and treble you would get from factory. From my profession installing every day, I'd say start with a new source unit then you could always add speakers later. You'll definitly notice a good difference with a new source.

Old 09-07-2009, 03:57 PM
Smudgie
Unregistered

ok - but how on earth do replace this head unit in the 09 Accord? The radio is like built into the dash and the volume and tuner is seprate from the Head Unit. Also, the stereo info is displayed on the screen which is separate from the radio. Is it even possible to replace the HU - what would happen to the screen currently used for the radio, ect? Thanks!

Old 09-07-2009, 05:19 PM

There is a kit made by Scosche that replaces the dash piece and allows for a double-din opening in the color of your dash needed. As far as the screen i believe that is setill enabled for the climate controls.