Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

2000 Accord Remote Start Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 03:14 PM
Default 2000 Accord Remote Start Help

Hello all,

I've had a 2000 Honda Accord that I bought from a family friend for about 6 months now. It's got 120,000 miles on it, and has been dealer maintained since new so it's in really good shape.

The car came with a Viper remote start installed which worked fine, until recently. About a month a ago I noticed it started taking an extended time to start, the car would start on the Viper's first attempt, but it turned over for about 5-7 seconds before it finally started running. As of about two weeks ago the remote start would no longer start it at all. The motor turns over but just doesn't ever start.

I even sat in the car and pressed the remote, all the dash lights illuminate as if you were turning the key forward and the starter begins to turn, it just never starts.

I did find something interesting in my quick, basic troubleshooting, if I put the key in the ignition then depress the remote the car fires right up. What I mean by that is I simply put the key in the ignition, I don't turn it in any direction at all, I just slide it in and pushed the Viper's remote and the car fired right up.

Any ideas on what is wrong? There is a large box under the dash that looks to be the control unit for the Viper, plus there is a smaller box off of that, which has a small LED light on it and some kind of button, I don't know what it does as I don't have any of the Viper paperwork.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-24-2013, 12:42 AM
Super Moderator

sounds like the immobilizer bypass wiring has came loose wires should be soldered. but people like to take short cuts and those connections fail over time. trace the wiring and re-do it with soldering iron and good electrical tape ($5/roll stuff).