Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

2004 Accord LX Coupe deck install

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 12:27 AM
Default 2004 Accord LX Coupe deck install

So I got a deck, and lower dash kit by Scosche from best buy.
The deck I got is... Pioneer CD BluetoothReady BuiltIn HD Radio InDash Receiver with Remote DEH-P8400BH - Best Buy
And I forgot to buy the wire harness -.-
Will this one work Metra Wiring Harness for Most 19982007 Honda and Acura Vehicles IBR-WHHD2 - Best Buy ?
If not, which one will? Best buy options only please. Also, looking at all this stuff, I was thinking of having the people there install it... Its only $20 for me, and it will save me the time and money since I don't have basically any tools.
Is there anything else I would need to get before installing the deck besides the wire harness?

Old 01-26-2013, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator

No, the wiring harness you chose will not work. If you want to pay Best Buy to order a part for you and make a profit on that part, feel free. If you have them install it, it is best to have them provide the part so there is no finger pointing.

this should have been the kit you ordered and it should have came with a special harness that intercepts the stock wiring harness for you. This special harness has two plugs - one into the stock radio/climate control and one into the car harness. basically, it goes in-line with the stock wiring without any cutting. the harness includes wires that will connect to the aftermarket head unit.
http://www.metraonline.com/files/pro...NST99-7862.pdf
Metra Part # 99-7862 | Honda Accord Dash kit | Metra Online

since you bought a Scosche and didn't get the wire harness, you'll have to spend more money and a lot more work ahead of you. if you don't have the correct harness it's not a $20 install. it's a $60 install. and it will require two wire harnesses and manual connections between them to ensure the speakers are now powered from the new head unit while the stock unit receives power for A/C controls and displays. This requires high level attention to detail, and high quality connections.

The two harnesses are Metra 70-1721 and 71-1721. one is into car and one is into radio. Neither will let you retain factory steering wheel controls. for that, you need a PAC Audio SWI-X or Metra ASWC and to verify the head unit you chose has that ability.

Whether or not the Best Buy installer can perform the work is unknown. Some in the country are MECP certified and excellent. Some are worthless and will only do permanent damage to your car physically and electrically. It's a crapshoot. At least ask to talk to them, and ask their experience. If they are under 20 and/or act like they are still in high school, walk away. If the installer tells you he only needs one harness, say no. One harness only means he will try to cut factory wiring. That is NOT something you want done and NOT something an professional would do.

Last edited by keep_hope_alive; 01-26-2013 at 10:04 AM.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:06 PM

Yeah, when youre installing a CD player in the bottom storage pocket, the adapter needs to plug into to both your factory head unit and youre new one. This way your factory HU still works and you still have the clock and all that. Best Buy should be able to handle the work with little problem. Its not that hard to do and especially if theyre MECP certified Id feel comfortable letting them do the job. If youre in doubt you can always go to a small local shop and let them do it as theyll likely be a little better.

Old 01-27-2013, 01:11 PM

The wiring harness only cost $1.60 after tax for me. And the install went very well. I don't know what he did, but I did retain my factory clock, and my new head unit works very well!

Old 01-27-2013, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator

likely he cut and tapped factory wiring.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:10 PM

03/03/12 To get the lights for existing heating, A/C and stereo/clock on the dash to illuminate, purchase a reverse (male) harness (Metra 71-1721) through sonicelectronix.com for $12, and plug it into the back of the factory stereo and wire to correct illumination wires for the climate control buttons on the dash. Rather than dismantling the dashboard again after I installed my new car stereo myself, I took my car to to Best Buy, where they wired it for $21 including tax. Works great. It was not real safe to operate the vehicle at night, while trying to adjust heating and A/C until I did this.

03/103/13 I was also told by the guys at Best Buy that Metranow has a dash kit that allows new stereos to be installed higher in the dash,where the factory stereo was mounted, which improves the line of site to thenew stereo. Metra still makes the olderdash kit that mounts the stereo unit closer to console for the shifter **** of thevehicle. The only downside is that itcosts approx. $300. I had alreadypurchased and installed the older kit from Metra, so my new stereo is mountedlow and closer to the shifter console. Ithink it is just fine mounted at the lower location, especially since the clockin my factory stereo now serves as my clock, and I use the display of my newstereo exclusively to display the radio station/CD track information. Hope this is helpful to fellowdo-it-your-selfers!