Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

2011 Accord front speakers cutting out

Old 07-07-2012, 10:19 AM
Default 2011 Accord front speakers cutting out

When I have my volume over 22 or 23 on the highway, my front speakers cut out. Mainly with songs with more base. Head unit and amp already replaced by Honda. Does anyone else have this problem / how can I fix this / should I just purchase an aftermarket system from best buy, etc?
Thanks

Old 07-15-2012, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator

interesting issue. OEM usually doesn't have that problem. could be a slight short in one of the front speakers. see if it happens with balance set to all left or all right.

Old 08-25-2012, 02:35 PM

I am having the exact same problem with my 2011 accord! Specific heavy bass songs (dubstep/hiphop) make the driver side main speaker cut out completely. If I turn off the system for 10 seconds or so and turn it back on the sound returns. Honda replaced the front speaker for me and it did absolutely nothing, I have another appointment later this week to get it checked out again. Did you ever get this fixed ? I'll try out the balance thing keep_hope_alive suggested later today.

Old 08-25-2012, 09:11 PM

Doubt its an amp issue unless its overheating which I doubt. Pretty hard to make an amp overheat unless youve got it mounted upside down in a very small space.

If youve only got one speaker cutting in and out, there is a problem with just it. Take the door panel off and take the speaker out but still connected. Listen to some music at a normal level and push around on the speaker cone and wiggle the wires some. Generally this sounds like a bad or loose connection somewhere or a fried speaker. Speakers are mechanical devices and run on a suspension setup. If this suspension is pushed beyond its limits, it will quit working.

And for the record, buying an aftermarket system is always a great idea whether youre having trouble with the stock setup or not.

Old 08-26-2012, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator

it's the amplifier cutting out because it doesn't like something. it comes back when you turn off power, and cuts out when it sees the same issue.

speaker wire integrity could be a culprit. simply disconnect the bad speaker and then crank the volume like you were to see if it cuts out or not. if it cuts out, then it's the speaker wiring or amp channel itself. an issue with the voice coil can cause a slight short, which is visible with a DMM when you measure resistance of the coil then push the cone in-and-out - watching for impedance to drop to near zero at some positions.