Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

2011 Honda Accord Factory speaker replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 03:54 PM
Default 2011 Honda Accord Speaker Replacement Completed!

Hello,
This is my first posting here and i want to thank you guys for contributing all kinds of information that I finally used to replace rear speakers on new 2011 Honda Accord EX. I think this info may be useful to some of you who may want to do the same. The rear speaker grills DO come off so you really do not need to remove the whole rear deck cover. I used a knife with painters tape wrapped on it (to prevent scratches). For the right speaker grill (sitting in the rear seat and looking back), start prying towards the back on the right side and you will hear a click. Start pulling the back and right side up. A few more clicks and you can start to raise the right side up. Do not pry up the left side of the grill for the right speaker grill. The left side of the grill has a slide in type clips so just pull up the grill from the right side and it will come up. I replaced mine with Alpine Type R. You can buy these at Amazon for a lot less than everywhere else. Also order "honda/acura speaker harness" made by MATRA 72-7800 from Amazon as well (a pair is included in the package). Do the opposite on the left side grill.

The speaker box comes with a bracket that you need to install first before putting the speakers. There is a nice foam seal (between speaker and body of car) that the OEM speakers come with. Carefully remove this seal and stick to the bracket. No drilling is required because the bracket has many holes that align with those on the body of car. Move the bracket around to find just the right alignment (take a few minutes to figure this out). Put the screws in for the bracket and then connect the wires to the speakers (the harness goes in only one way so you do not need to worry about +/-). Install speakers on bracket with machine screws and replace grill. For the last fine touch, stick the Type R (cool) logo on the grill in placement of your choice ;-).

I will at some point replace the front speakers as well, but change the balance to about R3-R5 and enjoy a dramatic improvement in sound quality! It was worth the effort. One more safety note. The screws that come with Alpine speakers (for the bracket) will stick out into the trunk and are sharp - I just covered them up with plastic dry wall screw supports. Finally, these screws come a with a metal tab that makes it difficult to tighten them so my reccomendation is to buy shorter machine screw with a nut on the other end. This will make your life a lot easier.

Guys once again thanks a lot for all of the great posts!

Old 08-30-2011, 06:16 AM
Super Moderator

thanks for the feedback and details. any pics are greatly appreciated.