Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

2013 Accord problems with nav. and blutooth

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 12:31 PM

Thanks for the note "mxrider". Good to hear Honda is going to fix the problem. Did she say how they were going to notify the owners?

Old 02-06-2013, 11:39 PM
Senior Member Stereo Guru..Almost A Mod :)

Originally Posted by lgk104
keep hope alive,

There are three rules when dealing with a customer:
1. The customer is always right

2. The customer is always right
3. The customer is always right

The argument that a sourced component is not Honda’s responsibility does nothold water. Using that rationale, only the engine and chassis would be Honda’s responsibilityas everything else is sourced by a supplier: seats, tires, suspension, and justabout everything else. Your statement makes me think you work in UG4.

Courts have upheld that the manufacturer sets the specification for partsand components and is liable to test them to ensure proper function. There is a long history of this. Mostrecently Toyota dealt with a sticky accelerator that the NHTSA concluded wascaused by a faulty component made by a supplier. Toyota ended up with the fineand the recall, not the supplier.

Whether Honda didn’t do enough testing, knew of this issue but didn’t care,or was totally ignorant does not allow for the damages they have caused. Bluetooth, navigation, and car stereos havebeen around a long time and there is no reason Honda shouldn’t be able to getit right. Can you imagine hearing a great song on the radio while driving onthe freeway, cranking the volume up and then getting a phone call where you cannothear the caller and the cannot hear you? Then the navi locks up, the radiobecomes stuck on the cranked up volume, and you’re stuck pulling over on a hightraffic road to shut off your car so that you can reboot the system? So thenext time this happens to one of us, we’ll call Pioneer or Panasonic? Are youkidding me? They already got their money from Honda and don’t give a hoot.

I just read in consumer reports how great the 2013 Accord is. That tells methey didn’t test it very well. Waituntil Car and Driver or Road and Track gets a long term tester with the sameissues. I bet Honda will wake up then.

Still having issues and regret spending over $30,000 for the 2013 AccordEX-L V6 with Navi.
I am probably a little late on this but the customer is always right tells me you have never worked in customer service. if the customer is always right nobody would ever pay for anything. there is a balance between being logical and making a customer happy.

also the recalls you are talking about that were upheld by courts all have to do with safety issues. it is the manufacturer's responsibility to make sure their product is safe. and if it is not they are liable because they cannot put people in danger. while I agree that honda should fix a known problem. you cant just throw out two entirely different things and tie them together in such a way. that is like saying that winchestor is responsible when your remmington ammunition misfires and blows your gun barrel apart, because winchester made the rifle so it shouldnt have any problems.

it would be nice if everything worked all the time. but this is life and **** happens. (as far as who is legally responsible goes.)

Old 02-07-2013, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by Captnemo
Thanks for the note "mxrider". Good to hear Honda is going to fix the problem. Did she say how they were going to notify the owners?
I asked her that question and she said she wasn't sure. The e-mail didn't specify.
I guess we're going to have to keep our ears open. I was going to check with my dealer in a week or two.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Pbass
Rengel, thanks for the video! Yes, that's it. I've been doing some searching in other forums and now I'm not sure it's the trans...it indeed could be running 3cylinders causing the vibration? Russ, I did some testing yesterday and it did not matter if the Eco button was on or off, bad vibration and growling at 34-36 and 46-47 mph, also very annoying while trying to cruise at speeds around 65-68. I'm going for the Lemon law on this...34,000. car, not right. Been driving Hondas for years, and this is not what I expected. Will be taking some vids this week, will post. Also will start getting all documented with dealer and service department. Thanks guys, Pbass
I posted my experience with this same issue in a Transmission forum:
https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...24/#post311177 would be interesting to hear your experience with pursuing this situation not sure lemon law would apply here.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by mxrider
I asked her that question and she said she wasn't sure. The e-mail didn't specify.
I guess we're going to have to keep our ears open. I was going to check with my dealer in a week or two.
Please don' get too excited. Honda started telling me in Nov. that the fix would be here in Jan. then it went to Feb. My service manager said they told him March. My question is, I'm not sure which of the multitude of problems I am having is this fix suppose to cure. Honda has never been clear as to which of the problems I am having that Honda actually considers a problem. I still think they consider any problems with the Nav. to be, as they put it, a supplier issue. I have been puting up with this for almost 6 mo. and I want some of the $4,000 extra I paid back.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by neophyte
I am probably a little late on this but the customer is always right tells me you have never worked in customer service. if the customer is always right nobody would ever pay for anything. there is a balance between being logical and making a customer happy.

also the recalls you are talking about that were upheld by courts all have to do with safety issues. it is the manufacturer's responsibility to make sure their product is safe. and if it is not they are liable because they cannot put people in danger. while I agree that honda should fix a known problem. you cant just throw out two entirely different things and tie them together in such a way. that is like saying that winchestor is responsible when your remmington ammunition misfires and blows your gun barrel apart, because winchester made the rifle so it shouldnt have any problems.

it would be nice if everything worked all the time. but this is life and **** happens. (as far as who is legally responsible goes.)
I may be showing my age here but in 1978 - 1984 I was an engineer with VW. VW had a problem with the Rabbit in that I think they used the wrong materal for the engine valve seals in some cars and the cars started about 35,000 miles using as much as a quart of oil in 400 miles. This was not a safety issue and VW's answer to the problem was to add to the owners manuel that it was normal for the Rabit to use a qt. of oil in 400 miles. The fed. gov. stepped in and said 'No' and VW had to do a recal. I wouldn't put it past Honda to try the same thing with some of our issues.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:24 PM

I brought in my 2013 V6 Accord Coupe with Navi to the dealer today to get the software update. I was notified of it when asked to be part of the Siri Eyes Free Mode trial.

I will update once I get the car back and test it out.

Here is the email I received:

As an owner of a 2013 model year Honda Accord, we need your participation and feedback.

Honda is pleased to offer you an opportunity to add a new Siri Eyes Free Mode ability into your vehicle free of charge in exchange for your review of the feature. (Availability of this offer expires February 3, 2013.)

Siri Eyes Free Mode integrates the Siri feature into your vehicle, allowing you hands free access to many of the Siri functions through the vehicle?s audio and HandsFreeLink systems without having to handle your iPhone.

Honda is conducting a limited market trial with current 2013 model owners who own an Apple iPhone.

As a part of this trial, Honda will update your Accord with software that will allow the new Siri Eyes Free feature to work in your vehicle.

The update will be installed by your dealer at no cost to you and you are welcome to keep and use the Siri Eyes Free feature after the trial is complete. All we ask from you is participation in an online survey after Siri Eyes Free is installed and you have had a chance to experience the feature.

There has been some compatibility concerns with the iPhone 5 and the Accord. This update will correct these concerns if you qualify for the trial.
To get started, please click on the link below to qualify for the trial. If you qualify, you will receive a welcome letter approximately 48 hours after completing the survey with instructions about how to have the Siri Eyes Free software installed into your vehicle.

Thank you for your participation. Your voice is important. We greatly value you as a customer and appreciate your feedback.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Pbass
Wow, glad to have found this forum! I've had my 2013 accord exl nav for about 3weeks and man, most of the problems listed have been driving me crazy.
When using Bluetooth, all my audio cuts out. This has happened 4 times now. Only solution is to shut off car. Not very handy when navigation is running and your on the highway.
The navigation lags two to three seconds...ridiculous at this lint in time for crying out loud.
And the worst is the navi computer actually crashing and rebooting repeatedly. I've actually found an address that causes this symptom on demand...and will show it to the service tech when I bring in the car next time...very disturbing. The service rep did not have any records of any of these problems. They said my battery was faulty and replaced it, noting that the current has to be consistent to the navi. This sounded bogus to me, I feel this is really a software prob. My other problem is that the transmission seems not to be downshifting at certain speeds when your slightly depress the gas. I've found this to be the worst at cruising at around 35 mph, it starts to "growl", and you can feel the straining... The only solution is to punch it, thus shooting ahead like a rocket...I'm wondering if anyone has this happening? Any way, will get the navi stuff on record by calling Honda. Thanks so much for the info. Bet, Pbass
My Nav. system is the only electronic device I have that doesn't lock up or make funny sounds. My problem with the nav. is the function of the system. Some times it will take me 3 - 4 miles out of the way to get to an address and it has nothing to do with how I have the settings ( shortest time vs. shorest dis.) If I miss a turn it won't tell me to turn around it rerouts me sometimes 3-4 miles out of the way. Streets that may be 20 years old it calls unidentified and it won't use then in making a route shorter. My $200 dash mounted Nav. beats the socks off the Honda Nav. When I complained to Honda is when Honda America told me they didn.t make the nav. system and started to give me the e-mail address of the co. that did. I told her that I bought the car from Honda and expected Honda to fix it. I don't know if the fix they are promising us will address the Nav. function issues are not.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:03 PM

Yeah, they never told me what the software update will fix either.
I don't have nav. Wasn't paying $2k for that. I'm only concerned with the poor sound quality of the stereo system.
I'm not optimistic they'll fix it. But I'm holding out hope.

It's sad that the system in our 06 Coupe actually sounds better and has more bass, even though it doesn't have a sub.

I forget how good a system can sound until I get in my 2011 F-150. That's how a premium system should sound.

This is our 6th new Honda. But if they can't make the music sound considerably better, it'll be our last.

I'm looking forward to peoples feedback after the so called "update".

Old 02-13-2013, 06:35 AM
Red face Would you do it all over again?

I must be crazy...having read all the complaints, I'm still interested in getting the 2013 honda accord coupe EX-L (no navi).

Would any of you have bought the new accord, knowing what you know now about the audio/software issues? Or are we talking complete buyer's remorse here?

Quick Reply: 2013 Accord problems with nav. and blutooth