Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

2013 Accord problems with nav. and blutooth

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 04:32 PM

A reach, but just took delivery of a 2014 EX-L V6 w/o nav. Pairs fine with my Android Motorola "Moto X" phone, but the sms/text functionality won't work, despite the fact the phone's bluetooth settings indicate "phone audio" "Media audio" and "messaging" all checked.

I know it's not listed as a compatible phone, but a comprehensive web search has revealed little and I've tried unpairing/re-pairing, car-on, phone-on, phone-on, car-on, hard phone reset; all the things suggested and generally not working for folks on other forums such as the Android forum. Anyone that's been able to get their Moto X phone to work with texting function and with advice would be most appreciated.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:46 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Shame that they have not yet fixed the problems with these cars. We have owned 7 Hondas in a row, all for a very long time and I now find myself in a position that I can't trust them to buy another car from them. What a shame.

Honda has lost their way. Perhaps Hyundai will be the new Honda. Maybe Ford is the new Honda. Maybe Subaru.....

Shame on Honda.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator

Ford Fusion is made in Mexico with 20% US parts and their drive-by-wire system is low quality as is most of the car. Hyundai is noisy and cheap with poor resale (same for Subaru).

The Honda radio was made to pair with an iPhone for full functions. Android compatibility has yet to be released for sms/text. Apple has shared necessary data to allow for this functionality via USB. Android platforms are too varied to allow a manufacturer to nail down what is required via Bluetooth. I don't blame Honda for radio issues SINCE HONDA DOESN'T MAKE THE RADIO. Blame Alpine.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:05 AM

Not sure if Android requires this configuration setting but iDevices do. Under Privacy, you must give HandsFreeLink permission to access Bluetooth data, AND under Bluetooth, you must turn on Show Notifications.

This may be unique to Apple but I had the same problem when I first tried to attach my iPhone.

There are also some configuration items in the car itself. All under Phone Setup (2013 Accord).

Good luck! Hope it helps.

Old 04-04-2014, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive
Ford Fusion is made in Mexico with 20% US parts and their drive-by-wire system is low quality as is most of the car. Hyundai is noisy and cheap with poor resale (same for Subaru).

The Honda radio was made to pair with an iPhone for full functions. Android compatibility has yet to be released for sms/text. Apple has shared necessary data to allow for this functionality via USB. Android platforms are too varied to allow a manufacturer to nail down what is required via Bluetooth. I don't blame Honda for radio issues SINCE HONDA DOESN'T MAKE THE RADIO. Blame Alpine.

I have to disagree. Alpine may have made the radio but Honda tested and approved it. They also agreed to the misleading specs.

Old 04-04-2014, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Whozplaying
A reach, but just took delivery of a 2014 EX-L V6 w/o nav. Pairs fine with my Android Motorola "Moto X" phone, but the sms/text functionality won't work, despite the fact the phone's bluetooth settings indicate "phone audio" "Media audio" and "messaging" all checked.

I know it's not listed as a compatible phone, but a comprehensive web search has revealed little and I've tried unpairing/re-pairing, car-on, phone-on, phone-on, car-on, hard phone reset; all the things suggested and generally not working for folks on other forums such as the Android forum. Anyone that's been able to get their Moto X phone to work with texting function and with advice would be most appreciated.

I have not posted to the site for some time, not because I don't still have issues but I wanted to give Honda plenty of time to correct the ones I have ( blu-tooth, sound, information screen and transmission ) I called my contact with Honda of America yesterday and Honda has done nothing to correct our issues. I assured them that I was not going away. At that point my Honda contact asked me what I wanted, which I thought a stupid question, I told him if Honda was not going to resolve the problems I expected a refund of the cost of my options, other wise I was going to try and have the car declared a lemon and by North Carolina law it qualifies. We will see what their next move is.

Old 04-04-2014, 01:00 PM

I am certain Honda knew of these issues before the car was released for production. If Honda is like other car mfg. their engineers log a lot of hours in cars with these options and I am sure they encountered the same problems we are having but marketing made the decision to release the car any way and deal with the issue later. The problem is that they haven't dealt with it and I bet they don't intend to. Hoping we will just accept it and go away. Very disappointed in Honda and I'm not going away.

Old 04-05-2014, 10:22 AM

I looked all over the radio and can't find Alpine name anywhere on it. In other words does not matter who actually made it. It was made for and approved by Honda. If I want to replace it with an exact factory replacement I would have to go through Honda and use a Honda part number. Honda may have an issue between them and Alpine but as the purchaser of the vehicle my issue is with Honda.

Old 04-05-2014, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by acrd
Shame that they have not yet fixed the problems with these cars. We have owned 7 Hondas in a row, all for a very long time and I now find myself in a position that I can't trust them to buy another car from them. What a shame.

Honda has lost their way. Perhaps Hyundai will be the new Honda. Maybe Ford is the new Honda. Maybe Subaru.....

Shame on Honda.
It has been 45 years since I got my first car and since then I have owned a bunch (more than 20), however this is my first and last Honda. By far this has been the most disappointing automobile purchase I have ever made. Besides just the sound system being a piece of junk, the ride is atrocious. Honestly my 3/4 ton pick up has a better ride. The wind and road noise are also sub par for a car of this caliber.

It doesn't matter where the car or the parts are made, what matters is the quality. Evidently the Honda electronics are also low quality. Just read back through this thread alone. Hyundai may be noisy but so is my Honda. Between the two Honda does have an edge with resale. Subaru on the other hand enjoys a very good resale, that is if you can find one. I notice you did not mention any other brands such as Toyota, Nissan, or Mazda. This car replaced a Toyota that unfortunately was destroyed in an accident. Even with 150,000 trouble free miles that car was quieter and had a better ride than this Honda Accord.

Old 04-06-2014, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by jab913
It has been 45 years since I got my first car and since then I have owned a bunch (more than 20), however this is my first and last Honda. By far this has been the most disappointing automobile purchase I have ever made. Besides just the sound system being a piece of junk, the ride is atrocious. Honestly my 3/4 ton pick up has a better ride. The wind and road noise are also sub par for a car of this caliber.

It doesn't matter where the car or the parts are made, what matters is the quality. Evidently the Honda electronics are also low quality. Just read back through this thread alone. Hyundai may be noisy but so is my Honda. Between the two Honda does have an edge with resale. Subaru on the other hand enjoys a very good resale, that is if you can find one. I notice you did not mention any other brands such as Toyota, Nissan, or Mazda. This car replaced a Toyota that unfortunately was destroyed in an accident. Even with 150,000 trouble free miles that car was quieter and had a better ride than this Honda Accord.
Agreed! We went through arbitration with NY's Lemon Law because of the incredible lugging and vibration/noise the car has between 1600 - 1800 RPM.
We lost (you should have heard some of the statements the Honda rep was making, I do suggest anyone considering going through lemon law to bring a lawyer. A lawyer would have torn the reps argument of " it's designed this way" "you should hear the oddessy!" to shreads)
Anyway, we will sell this car in two years so as not to take a major hit.
And we will never, ever purchase another Honda product after this experience, and I've owned 2 prior Hondas with no problems.
This is a V6 Accord with Navi ( replaced within two months because of crashing every other day). For this money, I did not get the quality I expected.

Quick Reply: 2013 Accord problems with nav. and blutooth