Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

91 accord, antenna - radio question

Old 03-06-2009, 06:40 PM
Default 91 accord, antenna - radio question

Ok.. I have a old amp and 2 subwoofers in a box from my old car im throwing in the new one. Since I am horrible at fixing cars I paid this dude 60$ to hook up my radio and speaker system and bought the parts.. the cd player is old and was given to me for free not knowing if it works or not.

Anyways.. It was installed and the cd player doesnt seems to work and the radio on it only gets stations 104.5 to the last station 107.something and only like 2 stations come in.

I am guessing this is due to not havinging and antenna, i tried to put a metal hanger to see if it would come in better and it worked but still only gets channels 104.5 threw 107.whatever I cant get any of my favorite radio stations. Any ideas on why? Is the radio just broke? why would it only get those higher stations and not something like 97.9?

Any ideas on how to make a cheap working antenna, i was thinking of cutting the metal hanger smaller and duct tapeing it lol but it might fly off while im driving.. any suggestions to ghetto rig one?

Final question :-D the guy who installed it said the wire that goes from my amp/subwoofer (the thick red one) which i beleive is 12ft , said it would not reach from the trunk to the battery, does that sound about right for a 91 accord or did the guy get lazy and rip me off by not installing the amp and subwoofer?

I know its alot of questions, but I would really appriciate some answers, so i dont have to listen to the oldies channel anymore lol Thanks!

Old 03-11-2009, 02:11 AM

am I invisable? nobody knows? com'n tell me some kind of info

Old 03-11-2009, 10:43 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

As for a cheap antenna just buy one, they are not more than $10 and you can't make anything that will work as good.

While I'm not completely familiar it may take an extra foot or two to get to the amp, but I would imagine 12ft is enough. If you don't want to by a whole new cable, you can get a distrobution block, and use it to extend the wire a bit, but don't actually split it and run two wires off teh block.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:52 PM
Newest Of Newbies

The tunner in the radio is most likely shot if it only scans from 104 up. And 12 ft isnt long enough. You need about 15 ft or so to do it right. t00fatt is right about the distro block . If you dont want to just buy 15ft of power wire (which I suggest), you can use a distro block to extend the wire. just be careful if you splice it tho, cause its not a good connection.

Old 03-12-2009, 02:23 PM
Talking

awesome.. thanks for the information guys!