Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Alarm Problem....

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 04:28 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered
Default Alarm Problem....

Fatty!

So In the past month my Viper 350hv has been random chirping when I unlock/lock or arm the system. Sometime it won't chirp @ all but the doors lock and the led flashes or it will be a weak chip or chirp once when its supposed to do it twice. Then if I arm it and shut the door my lights blink but there is no noise.

I replaced the fob remote. No success.

Took it to BB and they sound ground problem. Fixed it and it worked for one arming cycle.

Took it back to BB on Sunday and they gutted the old alarm and installed a brand new one. I know the siren is new because now the wires are routed through the inner fender and the alarm has the new plastic feel.

I pick up the car and the guy says it might have been b/c my + battery terminal connection is almost falling off. I split the lead b/c I tightened it down to much a few months back. Today, I replaced the terminal w/ a new one and it didnt fix the problem.

Any idea? It randomly chirps/wont chirp. And it makes me nervous b/c someone can break in and no siren will be heard.

Old 10-08-2009, 04:51 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I really no nothing about alarams, only installed one and I had a buddy help me. My guess would be bad wiring or bad alarm module, take it to another shop. Best buy is hands down the worst installer shop around, you don't know how many times I've had to redo friends cars because they went to BB. I have even heard horror stories here about BB installers, some of the worst and laziest installers out there. Especially now that they aren't independent and are part of the geek squad. I'm sure there are a handful of knowledgeable people that work for best buy temporarily, but in general they hire anyone and teach them the bare basics.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:07 PM

I really no nothing about alarams, only installed one and I had a buddy help me. My guess would be bad wiring or bad alarm module, take it to another shop. Best buy is hands down the worst installer shop around, you don't know how many times I've had to redo friends cars because they went to BB. I have even heard horror stories here about BB installers, some of the worst and laziest installers out there. Especially now that they aren't independent and are part of the geek squad. I'm sure there are a handful of knowledgeable people that work for best buy temporarily, but in general they hire anyone and teach them the bare basics.
First of all, not all of Best Buy's installers are bad. I for one, have been there for a little over 7 years and have achieved the highest level of MECP certification (1 of 22 of 3000 total installers) by learning from some of the best in the business. Yes i'll agree that there are bad ones out there, I can test to that. But I can't even count how many times I've had to fix the "well my friend installed it" or my favorite "I've done this before" jobs who claim they know as much. But it all ends up that they don't know **** for ****.

As far as the problem here, sounds to me like a poor ground to the siren (-) or a poor connection to the siren output wire (+) triggered from the brain. To test the brain, use a DMM and meter the siren output from the brain...brown wire in a large white harness. Should give one 12v(+) pulse for lock and 2 (+)pulses displayed for unlock. If its doing so each time, I'd have to go with the siren, or sirens 2 possible connections. If its not that then the siren may be going bad due to long exposure of the weather elements, depends on how long you have had it, and with the climate area. I know here in minnesota i've had to replace a few. Also goes back to how they are mounted (not upside down like a fish bowl). But thats without me actually seeing it.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:32 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Thanks for the reply!

Sounds like a good amount of information there! Unfortunately, I have no tools where I am living, they are all at my parents house.

I understand and it makes sense that the siren can go bad, however, my whole alarm was gutted and replaced with a brand new one 5 days ago. So I am assuming it is a bad ground since this alarm is doing the same thing as the last one. I'll bring it back to BB when I can get a chance.