Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

AM-FM Cassette on 96 Accord

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 09:22 AM
Default AM-FM Cassette on 96 Accord

Hello all,

I was wondering if I can get some advice about what to do with my stock stereo on my 96 Accord, 4 door, EX.
I got the car last summer and the stereo worked fine (i put in a tape adapter to use an mp3 player with it). Then for some reason after a few months the green display digits would become scrambled and flicker (tape still worked fine). Then the display would flicker and turn off (at this point when it turned off, the cassette player would no longer work, but radio still worked fine). When this would happen, I would just try to nudge the stereo, maybe flick it a few times and everything would work. Long story short, now the display is barely there, I took the stereo apart and could not figure out what is wrong with it, all the connections are strong, is this stereo basically at the end of its life?

And along with that, I have a question regarding a new stereo. I have a car alarm that goes through the stereo (which I noticed when I was pulling it off). The car alarm is not stock from what I can tell, I cannot figure out what brand it is. Is it safe for me to buy any aftermarket stereosystem and install it, will my alarm and everything still work? Or is it better to find (hopefully through the forum) a stock accord stereo so that it will not mess up the alarm?

Thanks for the response, sorry for the long post.

Old 03-29-2011, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

yea, stuff fails and breaks overtime. the backlight on the display is probably going out. with such nice aftermarket solutions available, an upgrade will do wonders.

the alarm connection is interesting. is it just a flashing light or a monitored contact? you want to find out a bit more about what the wire(s) are looking at/for. where do those wires go? is there a voltage on either of them with the car on/off and stereo on/off? do some investigating so you can replicate the load/signal on them and an aftermarket will work fine.