Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Audio/HVAC display is dead

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 07:42 AM
Question Audio/HVAC display is dead

I have a 2004 accord, and recently had all the lights on my radio go blank. It still works fine but everything went out. I know that there was a service bulletin about it, buuut my accord falls right outside of there vin range that qualifies for the free fix. How the hell is that?! I took it to the dealer and said its obviously the same exact problem that everyone else has so why shouldnt mine qualify?? I called honda of america twice with no luck...

Anyone have any suggestiions for when your cars vin "isnt in the correct range"

I had luck with one dealer and who was familiar with the problem and he said he was ordering the part for me, but i dont know if once i get there he'll then find out its not in the range and then charge me???

(I bought a costguard complete, warranty plan with my car and i think it might be covered, but they still want me to pay for a diagnostic to make sure that this Is actually the problem...)

Old 04-11-2010, 10:16 AM

bump...

Old 04-11-2010, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator

bummer luck man. it's a shame Honda won't cover the vehicle.

did you verify that the illumination fuse and wiring are good?

Old 02-14-2011, 10:33 AM
Default Same problem

Shiggitty,

I have the same problem. The HVAC lights slowly went out one by one, until all of the HVAC lights were completely out. The radio still lights up and works, but all the other HVAC lights are out.

I, too, called the Honda dealership to see if my car was covered by the service bulletin, but my car also was out of the VIN range covered by the SB.

What did you do, how did you fix this? I'm fairly car-savvy and was looking online for DIY repairs on this when I came across your post. If I can get the dealer to repair the problem, then great. If not, I do not want to pay $195 just to diagnose the problem - as I already know what the problem is (I checked all the fuses and wires, they are all fine).

Thanks!

Old 07-04-2011, 07:53 AM
Default Out of Range

Folks,

My 2004 experienced the same phenomenon. I printed out the Service Bulletin through links here and dropped the car off for service (w/the SB enclosed). First two folks I dealt with (lower level) said out of range. I escalated to the Service Manager who confirmed the two lower level folks statements, but I insisted on them dealing with the already identified quality problem regardless of where my VIN was. The SM escalated to the District Service Manager and he agreed to replace the faulty board in the radio for cost of installation. Went from a quoted $461 to $59.50. Just escalate as needed. With a diagnosed quality problem, the leverage is really yours unless you let them take it away from you.

Good luck.

Rackster

Old 07-11-2011, 11:29 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks Rackster. Good feedback.