Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Audio overhaul, need help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 05:53 PM
msmi11
Unregistered
Default Audio overhaul, need help!

Current:
2004 Honda Accord EX-L
Stock XM in-dash 6 CD changer
Stock Speakers

Future:
Prefer to keep stock HU (taking suggestions for HU in storage compartment)
New front & rear speakers (taking suggestions)
Add: Sub (looking for some good bass, not thumping bass)

Everyone knows that stock audio can't do the job, even if just like to listen to music the way it was intended to be heard. I'm looking to spend money on clarity and yes I do want to level it up. I am not looking rattle windows or blow doors off. I am interested in keeping the OEM HU at all costs, but if necessary, I will go with the storage compartment solution if a new head unit will get me the clear smoth sound I want.

I would appreciate any and all suggestions. Once I get the work done, I will post the end result

Thanks

Old 11-05-2006, 06:20 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered
Default RE: Audio overhaul, need help!

Welcome to the forums! First, a higher end aftermarket hu will give better clarity and more power than a stock hu could ever do. Sub wise, pretty much any higher end sub can thump, sometimes it depends on the amp. For example, my Audiobahn amp has a bass boost switch and when that is on all the mirrors and what not rattles like crazy, but when it is off the bass is quiet and sounds crystal clear. Speaker wise, i'm not to sure as I have stock front speakers and 20 dollar rears. Popular choices seem to be Kicker, Pioneer, Alpine and a few others. Many guys on here have set-ups and will be happy to give you their opinions and suggestions. Good luck!

Old 11-06-2006, 12:13 AM

man your post was music to my ears. you have so many options you can pick from!!! whats your $$ range for speakers and a sub? I say do the speakers and sub, and if they dont meet your requirements, change the headunit. But for now its fine. Let the plans begin:

speakers: I myself would go infinity, but JBL, Kicker, Eclipse, JL, Polk are all higher end speakers and about the same list for subs.

subwoofer: same brands as above, I think i know what your looking for in bass reproduction. I'd say go with one 10 or 12 in a sealed enclosure, and that should "fill" nicely.

what kind of music do you listen to? any questions, let me know.

Old 11-06-2006, 02:23 AM
19Accord97
Unregistered

ORIGINAL: TheBackRoads

man your post was music to my ears. you have so many options you can pick from!!! whats your $$ range for speakers and a sub? I say do the speakers and sub, and if they dont meet your requirements, change the headunit. But for now its fine. Let the plans begin:

speakers: I myself would go infinity, but JBL, Kicker, Eclipse, JL, Polk are all higher end speakers and about the same list for subs.

subwoofer: same brands as above, I think i know what your looking for in bass reproduction. I'd say go with one 10 or 12 in a sealed enclosure, and that should "fill" nicely.

what kind of music do you listen to? any questions, let me know.
I agree. On a side note, if money is a problem then I recommend Volfenhag sub wise. They are pretty cheap, and are great quality if you dont abuse them plus they look nice. I have a picture of my set up in my gallery if you want to check it out. I have two 12's 500 watt rms, and one has a bad voice coil and it is still to much for me not to mention its in a no name sealed box.

Old 11-06-2006, 02:25 AM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that you should check out eBay for your wiring. I got my Audiopipe wiring for only $30 plus it came with free tweeters. Best Buy sells higher gauge wire for more, so eBay will def. save you money. Also got my amp from there too.

Old 11-06-2006, 11:09 PM
poser_pilot6
Unregistered

I have a Rockford Fosgate amp running 360 watts to a 10" Kicker Comp VR subwoofer. Its plenty loud, and by playing with the EQ on my head unit (Pioneer), I can either rattle everything, or have nice, tight, mellow bass. If you arent looking for big, gut pounding bass, you dont need a big sub. I would recommend a 10", although you could even use an 8" and get good bass. Anyway, I would say probably no bigger than a 10, and definitely in a sealed box.

My speakers are stock in the front and Pioneer in the back. The Pioneers sound pretty good, although Infinity and Kicker are probably my two favorites for speakers.

Kicker makes excellent subwoofers, as do JL Audio, Infinity, and Polk Audio.

A new head unit is really an essential upgrade. I have always used Pioneer, but I have a friend who swears by Panasonic, and one who loves Sony. Find one that has the features you are looking for and fits your budget, I suppose.

Are you planning to run your speakers off the deck, or are you going to add separate amps for them?

And yes, eBay is a great place to find audio stuff, thats where I got my amplifier and also my Pioneer speakers