Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

AUX Input / Output - Few Other Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 06:02 AM
Default AUX Input / Output - Few Other Questions

Good Morning!

So, I just read through about 100 posts, and I searched for a few things, but some are hard to piece together, so I have a few specific and a few general questions.

I have a 2004 Honda Accord Coupe v6 w/ built-in XM & 6CD Changer

I currently have a Kicker Amp using high-level inputs to 2 12" kickers. I also have 6 1/2" & 6x9 pioneers in door & rear deck.

1st) If installing a head unit into the cubby slot, how does the wiring work? Do I need to splice off of the factory head unit for power and speaker output or do I need to run new wires for speakers?

2nd) I read a post about how a guy used the Aux INPUT on his new stereo in the cubby and a AUX Output from the stock unit to use the 6-cd changer & the XM receiver with his new stereo. Is this standard on a 2004 Accord coupe v6? I would like to do this. UPDATE: After reading some more about the JL CleanSweep and others, I think that might be my better option. I plan on powering both new components and my rear 6x9's with a 4 channel amp, the cleansweep will give me all of those controls plus the preamp outputs. The cleansweep would also give me inputs for both Ipod & MP3 player.

3rd) I could not find any information on how to remove or use the tweeter location in the dash, currently my system is the regular not premium so no tweeter is in the loc, if I buy some components is it hard to wire that and get access to that location?

4th) I saw some pictures of install on front door speakers, I found that it was hard to get the speakers to go flush with the metal door, any recommendations?

5th) Does anyone have pictures or see pictures on what the back grilles look like when you cut them out? My 6x9's stick to far up so I cant use aftermarket or stock covers, I read that some people just cut out the brace and installed the aftermarket to the covers.

6th) Does my stock system right now have some sort of AUX Input in the trunk? And how does it work?

Thanks again! I did read alot already that answered many questions about this audio design of the accord.

Thanks!

- Hudock

Last edited by hudock; 03-30-2010 at 06:18 AM. Reason: added built in XM & CD Changer
Old 03-30-2010, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

1. i would run a new wire from the battery (fused at the battery) for constant 12V and get the 12V ignition signal from the factory radio harness. Ground to the chassis/floor.

2. what are you trying to add by installing a new head unit? what new features? look at pac-audio.com for OEM interfaces to your head unit including HD Radio, Ipod, etc.

3. factory dash tweeter locations should be easy to access. wiring to them is fairly easy as well. if you buy your new components from Crutchfield, it will include the necessary instructions and adapters.

4. when installing new speakers in factory locations you need to build a baffle (typically from painted MDF) that not only increases mounting depth, but also gives you a solid surface. then use closed cell weatherstripping foam between the baffle and the metal to keep it air-tight and free from buzzes, and use the factory mounting points. i can provide more detailed pictures of this process upon request. i make MDF mounts for all drivers i put in front doors.

5. you could mount the 6x9's from the bottom of the rear deck, gaining available depth so you can keep the rear covers. you don't want to advertise your system, and any rear deck modifications will be very noticable.

6. do you have an aux input on the head unit and a 3.5mm jack in the trunk? i don't understand the question. are you asking if you have one? do you see one? does the owner's manual describe it?

Old 03-30-2010, 07:24 PM

Awesome reply man! Super helpful

In response

2) I think I'm going to go with that cleansweep system, Im not looking for anything except better EQ and preamp outs, so after lots of reading the cleansweep seems the way to go

4) When I got the speakers I got these baffle sorta things, but they were way to thick to fit between the door and the door panel, I'm going to pull everything back off and maybe look at doing it with MDF. Right now I used left over dynomat to try to make it air tight etc.

5) I'm gonna look into reversing the mount on those 6x9's

6) There is no AUX input on my radio, and I don't see one but I dont know where to look in the trunk, I just read that some of the systems have them and I was curious if it was standard.

Thanks for all the other great info though! Im gonna get working on it soon.

- hudock

Old 03-30-2010, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator

6. most likely, that's a premium system option. so you won't have it.

you can add it though, pac-audio.com has a lot of options for your factory head unit.