Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

best subs

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 10:39 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: best subs

I know a few people with L5s and L7s, all of them didn't break their subs in before blasting them at max RMS wattage, and not one of them blew. I honestly don't think the stitching would cause the surround to rip, it probably doesn't make much of a difference either way actually. Kicker probably just stitched them to throw another feature on their subs. But this is besides the point of this thread.

I got my 15" Comp VR Kickers for $99 a piece on sale, now you can get them for $110 to $120 a piece, or even less if you get a pair off ebay. Kicker Comp VRs are the best subs for the money in all aspects: durability, sound, and looks. Other brand subs that sell for the same or less do actually blow the cone off the surround, or even blow the dust cap off the cone. There are only a few other brand subs I would buy, but they are not even near the price range of CVRs. If you want to pay only for subs get a pair of CVRs, if you want to pay for subs and a name get a pair of JLs.

Old 05-23-2007, 11:11 AM

ORIGINAL: t00fatt

How can you say since its designed better it must be worse? Also the shape of the speaker cone has no relation to the shape of the sound waves, more surface area = more SPL.
I didnt say anything about being betterdesigned.. they hit hard just because they cover more surface area..( thewoofer is square and the magnet stillsame shape..... a circle!!!)its an ok design if all you want is thud thud thud... but they def will NOT be clear and sing to u like the JL's

Old 05-23-2007, 09:00 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I'm sorry but you really seem like you have no idea what your talking about. This first statement sort of gave it away:

ORIGINAL: vtecHef
espically the square crap... i mean if all u wanna hear is thud thud thud then go for it.. they do have bigger cone size due to the fact that they are square, but why have all speakers always been round ?
I said it before but I'll say it one more time the shape of the cone has no relation to the shape of the sound wave. A square has more surface area then a circle, thats just a proven fact. More surface means more SPL. The reason subs have "always" been circle is because of the fact it is much easier to build a circle sub then a square sub. Considering the fact that a square sub is hard to pull off, Kicker has pulled it off damn well.

( the woofer is square and the magnet still same shape..... a circle!!!)
Ofcourse the magnet is a circle, the voice coil is circle too. The only thing square is the cone, the only part of the speaker surface matters. Which makes me think why would you make such a statement. Its not good for any forums for people to log on and give advice that isn't the best or even true. Ofcourse you are entitled to your opinion, but this is a matter of you giving downright baised advice to someone who needs real advice and not just your assumptions.

Old 05-24-2007, 07:02 PM

The reason speaker cones are round is that round cones are more rigid and less prone to distortion. Oval cones like 6x9's can give you more bass response due to the increased cone area but CHEAPER 6x9's wont sound as good as good round ones. However a GOOD QUALITY set of 6x9 components will sound aweome!

Square subs work well because A) if theyre well made, theyll be rigid enough to fend off any distortion and have more cone area so you get more output.

As for the durability of the L7's and L5's, Ive seen SEVERAL SPL competitors out on the circuit and theyre not only pounding but theyve also been running the same subs for a couple years now.

A buddy of mine runs a pair of 15's and routinely hits well over 155 db! He's had em for a couple years now and theyve never given out on him..

The Kicker L5, L7 and Solo-Baric square subs are powerhouse subs and they sound very good too. A guy in MECA has won 2 consecutive World Championships in sound quality with a L7 12 and Gary Biggs, probably the greates SQ competitor of them all (7 World Championships) did it for several years with a singleL7 10.

Old 05-26-2007, 04:34 PM
poser_pilot6
Unregistered

ORIGINAL: poser_pilot6

So you would recommend Profile amps? I have considered buying one before, because they put out a lot of watts for cheap, but I was afraid they might just be garbage.
What i dont understand is what everyone wants everyting to put out HUGE watts.. i mean i have two JL's with a 350 watt amp and they hit HARD.. my buddy had that same subs with a different amp(500w).. we areneck and neck when it comes to how hard they hit. Plus mine hit much cleaner.. all im trien to say its it most def. not all about power...
No, its not all about power. I run 360 watts to my 10 inch right now, and Im looking at going to two tens at about 500 watts each. The reason I was looking at Profile is that I could get one amp for each sub, and only have to spend $110 per amp to get 480w at one channel. If I wanted to go with Rockford Fosgate (like the amp I have now), Im looking at more like $300 per amp for around the same watts.

Im not trying to load my car with eighteen subs and four million watts, just trying to get the best price I can for the sound I want.

Old 05-30-2007, 01:36 AM

12" Kicker Solobaric L7's . game over

Old 05-30-2007, 02:36 PM

kicker subs arent crap. i have a 12" L5 and it hits harder than any other 12" circular subs i've heard. its not thud thud either. it has decent sound quality. and they dont blow easily.

Old 06-01-2007, 06:48 PM

ORIGINAL: yongie

12" Kicker Solobaric L7's . game over
12" JL W7. Game Over

Old 06-08-2007, 03:33 AM
kasperlbevs
Unregistered

ORIGINAL: 02 accord

what are the best kind of subs to get as far as sound and durability are concerned
also what are the best to get for the best price
Digital Designs 1000 series for me.

My DD1012a powered with 400rms reached 137db on the termlab meter. not bad for an entry level sub.

Old 06-08-2007, 05:44 PM
thug@$$n1gga
Unregistered

sonicelectronix.com ..............................

anyway JL's are musical and hit the whole bass spectrum for the most part...W7's hit very hard.
Diamonds hit haaaaaaaaard. As do memphis. I have 2 memphis M3 12s in a vented box and it makes it hard to breathe on volume 5.......

get diamonds or memphis if you plan on listening to your system in about 10 min. increments i.e. back and forth to work or school...

otherwise JL is the choice