Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Can I install 04' OEM radio in my 03' Accord?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 04:10 PM
Ray6794
Unregistered
Default Can I install 04' OEM radio in my 03' Accord?

I just purchased a 03' accord and I purchased the USA Spec PA15-HON2 ipod interface.

With my current radio (in dash 6 disc changer without SAT/XM) I am not able to get text to display on the radio. I can only control it directly from the ipod or create 6 playlists I can choose from.

With the radio's that have the SAT/XM button, I would able to see text on the radio and search for artist/song/album right on the radio.

My question is, can I install a radio identical to mine (in dash 6 disc changer, dual climate controls) only with SAT function from an 04' and it work correctly? I know I wont have sat radio without the brain, I just want to be able to see Ipod text.

Anyone have any experience with this? I was told by one person that you had to match the code on the bottom right of the radio screen (mine says 7BK0) although I thought that just indicated the color of the radio face.

Thanks greatly in advance for your help.

-Ray

Old 07-10-2009, 04:26 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

From what I've read, if they both have dual climate control than it will work.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:11 AM

If you are getting it used, be sure to get the radio's CODE before you put the deck in. Otherwise when you turn the car on for the first time with that new one, you'll gotta take it all out, get the serial number, and talk to a honda dealer.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:18 AM
Ray6794
Unregistered

thanks for the responses. Anyone that has actually done this? I would have thought some others would have explored this vs going aftermarket.

I wouldnt mind seeing some aftermarket installs too from you guys. If it can be made to look stock, I might go that way too...

Old 07-11-2009, 10:07 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Aftermarket really is the way to go if you want to get the most out of your system, but some do stay stock and add special interfaces and crossover networks to make a real system out of it. Physically all the 7th gen units can be swapped back and forth, the only important thing is too keep the climate controls the same. Not sure what would happen if you tried to hook up a single zone unite to a dual zone car, or the other way around.

Old 07-12-2009, 06:32 PM

I'm using aftermarket, with a dash kit made by Metra that has the climate controls with a DIN opening. Not a big fan of it. Color is off, and the buttons look crappy and the dials as well. So I'm working on a stock dash kit from a factory radio piece with a DIN opening. I have some of my pictures up. Just working on the relocation process of the kit's main circuit board. Its going well, but with lots of headaches too. Just taking a long time. I'm a big fan of the factory look but with better items in its place.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:59 PM
Ray6794
Unregistered

Originally Posted by t00fatt
Aftermarket really is the way to go if you want to get the most out of your system, but some do stay stock and add special interfaces and crossover networks to make a real system out of it. Physically all the 7th gen units can be swapped back and forth, the only important thing is too keep the climate controls the same. Not sure what would happen if you tried to hook up a single zone unite to a dual zone car, or the other way around.

Yeah, i'm trying to stay with the factory look myself. Just want ipod functionality. If thats the case, I will just buy a 04' radio with Sat to get text.

Thanks for the feedback...