Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Car Alarm door locks

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 10:31 PM
Super Moderator

"ground when armed" means that that wire is switched to ground when the system is armed. this could be used to control relays or lights. they show it for starter interrupt using a relay.

our cars have door switches that connect to ground when open. that allows the lights to be turned on (like touching the negative to ground). the alarm looks for a connection to ground. for this, a diode is usually used to isolate the alarm from the vehicle. you connect the (-) door input wire to one of the door switch wires - one that has all door switches are tied together so when any door is opened the alarm sees that switch to ground.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:27 AM

Ok. I saw that I could use that for a starter interrupt on a relay.

Im having trouble finding a specific diagram on the switches. I see them in the lighting diagram. Maybe wire this up to the ceiling light. The two door trigger inputs will activate the set alarm when they touch- do I use those or are you saying use the "ground when armed" wire?

From what I understand in the diagram the ceiling light goes to the dashboard and then is grounded with any of the doors that is opened. I could use a relay switch to connect the two door trigger wires when a current passes through the black/white ceiling light wire right?

For some reason Im having trouble with this part. I think I need to see exactly how this alarm and the wire inputs work. I think Ill do a write up after all this since its kinda hard to find.

This is a coupe diagram. Mine is a sedan but same basics, just two extra doors.

Attached Thumbnails Car Alarm door locks-hondaaccordcoupe1994-1997servicemanual_zps6c7cf047.jpg  
Old 06-26-2013, 07:30 PM

Reading it over again I understand what you said better. Funny how I can understand something a few days later.

So I'm thinking using some splice connectors and tee'ing the (-) into the wires going out of the dash indicator to the switch the ground since thats the most localized spot I can find for all the doors. I tried using the ceiling like and it acted a bit funny. But I tried a relay since the (+) and (-) will activate the alarm when touching.

Do I need to wire them all with a diode or would the module already have a diode wired into the (-) door trigger?

_________

Edit
I found a great post that summed it up well. For anyone who needs a reference:

Negative door trigger can connect to the dome light wire that is grounded when a door is open. No diode needed. GM and most imports.

The positive is used for some import and ford models. It can also be tied into the individual door triggers and connected using a 1amp diode for each door.

So its one or the other but both can be used if you want a thorough job. Ill just try the negative trigger.

Last edited by RobinsonRicer; 06-28-2013 at 09:03 AM.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:01 PM
Super Moderator

yep. just using the negative trigger is fine, near the driver's door pin is handy.

i use a diode just to isolate regardless, diodes are plentiful.

Old 06-30-2013, 09:18 AM

What I did was I used the negative and spliced it in with the dome wire to the dash. It works if someone opens the door from the outside. As long as I have the dome light switched to the middle. But I could also just connect it to the other door wires going to ground.

Do you know which wires are for the back doors? I only have the coupe FSM... or maybe my haynes manual will have it.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:53 PM
Super Moderator

the door trigger wire itself is accessible at any door, it's the plunger near the hinge. that is the wire to use as it is tied to all other doors and independent of the switch.

Old 07-04-2013, 07:03 AM

Okay, well everything is hooked up mostly. I just need an idea for the auxiliary. Maybe a remote starter. Thanks for your help.