General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Honda Accord Door Locks, Alarm, Windows, Interior lights problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 06:52 PM
Default 2000 Honda Accord Door Locks, Alarm, Windows, Interior lights problem

Hello. I have a 2000 Honda Accord that has been experiencing intermittent lock/alarm issues for a little over a year now. It started the morning after the outskirts of a hurricane hit our area. I awoke to the alarm sounding with no one around. Since then the car has been behaving very oddly. The locks occasionally work with the remote, but lately that seems less and less often. Sometimes you can here a noise like the doors are trying to unlock but can't. When the remotes don't work, the master switch inside the drivers and passengers doors also do not work. All the doors have to be unlocked manually and the interior light does not come on. Once the car is started, if you roll down the passenger windows from the master switch (on the driver door), they don't roll down smoothly. Then, a few times that this has happened, as we're driving down the road, the alarm suddenly starts going off. There seems to be no pattern to when this is going to happen. Sometimes everything works completely fine, and you'd never know there was a problem.

The first thing we did was replace the batteries in both remotes. We've replaced the master switch (ordered off eBay)(when I say master switch here, I'm referring to the driver door arm rest piece that has all the window controls). We've replaced the driver door actuator (purchased from Napa). And we've replaced the battery as well. We've taken the car to two different mechanics, and they both said they couldn't say for sure what the problem is. And since it doesn't happen all the time, they can't do proper diagnosing to see what the cause is.

I was previously told by someone that I need to replace the "door lock.module", but I've done numerous google searches and am unable to locate this part.

Any help or advice anyone can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Laura
2000 Honda Accord, 4 door, 4 cylinder, Automatic transmission, factory alarm

Old 10-15-2012, 06:29 PM
Super Moderator

Wow.....a lot of stuff here. Some maybe related and some may be different issues.

For the alarm; be sure the battery is good. Also be sure the ends of the cables are clean and tight.
Next, the hood latch switch "seems" to go bad more often than anything.

For the lights inside; do the lights on the door come on when they are opened?

Old 10-18-2012, 05:26 PM

Good question...yes, the lights on the doors do come on when the locks don't work. I hadn't noticed that before.

We recently changed the battery so I think the cables should be nice and tight. I will investigate more about the hood latch switch. Thank you for the tip. My gut tells me that the alarm going off randomly is related to the locks issue because it only happens after we have to manually unlock the doors. It's like all the sudden the car just wakes up while and realizes that someone bypassed the alarm.