General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

power locks and alarm 97 Accord

Old 10-18-2007, 03:41 PM
HAFAccord97
Unregistered
Default power locks and alarm 97 Accord

I drive a 1997 Accord EX 4Dr.

It has an anti-theft alarm system which was installed at time of purchase by the Honda dealer. It appears that the alarm is malfunctioning. Once the engine is started after a few moments the power locks all get locked. I believe this is the feature of the anti theft alarm system (I could be wrong). About a year ago the rear power locks stopped locking and would keep making a whirring sound trying to lock. It would not respond to the remote key command to lock or unlock. So I had the power lock mechanism on both rear door replaced (I think its called the accuator or something like that). So now the lock responds to the remote key and it also locks when the engine is started. However, the locks keep making a clicking sound as if its trying to lock. I am told this is because the alarm is malfunctioning.

So my question is, is there a way to disable the alarm?

The alarm even though installed by the Honda dealer is an after-market product.

I would appreciate any help on this. Thanks.

Old 10-18-2007, 03:54 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: power locks and alarm 97 Accord

most power remote entry / alarm systems have 2 power door lock settings. 1 ouputs a short burst of current to lock/unlock the door, and the other option outputs a couple of seconds. ( this is for other types like pneumatic locks and some other power door lock styles) read the alarm manual to see how to change it/find out what its set to. I could have gotten changed somehow.

Also try just unplugging your alarm system to see if the problem goes away.

If it still makes the sound when your using the lock/unlock buttons by the door handle (the non-keyless ones) it is VERY unlikely that its the alarm system.

Old 10-19-2007, 05:40 AM

Drivers door actuators causing these same problems is very common. It is the master door lock input device.

If you use the key in the door lock to unlock the doors the old fashioned way, the drivers door actuator controls all the other actuators.

Old 10-19-2007, 12:17 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Do the doors that are having the problem work properly when you use the door lock switch?