Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Honda Electrical Load Detection (ELD) Bypass

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

There is still an ELD on the 2013-2014 Accords. However, it looks like the change for the 2013-2014 Accords is a LIN (Local Interconnect Network) controlled charging system.

The alternator voltage regulator has a LIN wire going to the PCM (the LIN wire is yellow on the 2013-14 Accords). The LIN wire allows the PCM to control voltage and load response control rate. The PCM can also read back information and status of the regulator and alternator through the LIN wire. The LIN provides control/diagnostic on the same wire.

There most likely is an IC chip in the regulator since there is the LIN wire.

Last edited by redbull-1; 02-08-2014 at 03:17 PM.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:15 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I read on the 9th gen Civic forums that they have something called canbus, this is not my area of expertise so whether that helps figure this out I have no idea. Would an alt with an external regulator bypass the stock system?

Old 02-09-2014, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by redbull-1
There is still an ELD on the 2013-2014 Accords. However, it looks like the change for the 2013-2014 Accords is a LIN (Local Interconnect Network) controlled charging system.

The alternator voltage regulator has a LIN wire going to the PCM (the LIN wire is yellow on the 2013-14 Accords). The LIN wire allows the PCM to control voltage and load response control rate. The PCM can also read back information and status of the regulator and alternator through the LIN wire. The LIN provides control/diagnostic on the same wire.

There most likely is an IC chip in the regulator since there is the LIN wire.
great info. that is not something to bypass.

Old 02-13-2014, 12:10 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Anyone know if an alt with an external regulator would help get around this?

Old 02-16-2014, 11:53 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I think that when the requirements for the charging system goes up, it is impossible to keep eld, especially on newer style. because to make alternator crank out more amps, the internal electronics must be changed. for our Honda alternator, Toyota electronics fit, and will make the alternator crank out 160 amps. but it then must be wired the original way. either way, if we have more robust electrical demands in our car, then it only makes sense that we don't want the alternator to ever stop charging. and to that end I think it would be better to take the alternator circuit away from the ecu completely, and focus on ways to either disable the code in the ecu so it doesn't bring up the check engine light, or build dummy ckt so the ecu thinks it is controlling a ckt it really isn't. while I know tuning solutions are hard to come by or non existant for obd2 Hondas, most tuning software will let you disable and even change parameters of codes. for example, when upgrading a chevy's charging capabilities, I will use hptuners to disable code 601 which is generator 'f' terminal.

here is my eld bypass....

Attached Thumbnails Honda Electrical Load Detection (ELD) Bypass-7.jpg   Honda Electrical Load Detection (ELD) Bypass-9.jpg   Honda Electrical Load Detection (ELD) Bypass-wiring.jpg   Honda Electrical Load Detection (ELD) Bypass-electrical.jpg   Honda Electrical Load Detection (ELD) Bypass-325357_330562950309961_1232653053_o.jpg  

Last edited by autowiz; 02-16-2014 at 12:06 PM.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by autowiz
I think that when the requirements for the charging system goes up, it is impossible to keep eld, especially on newer style. because to make alternator crank out more amps, the internal electronics must be changed. for our Honda alternator, Toyota electronics fit, and will make the alternator crank out 160 amps. but it then must be wired the original way. either way, if we have more robust electrical demands in our car, then it only makes sense that we don't want the alternator to ever stop charging. and to that end I think it would be better to take the alternator circuit away from the ecu completely, and focus on ways to either disable the code in the ecu so it doesn't bring up the check engine light, or build dummy ckt so the ecu thinks it is controlling a ckt it really isn't. while I know tuning solutions are hard to come by or non existant for obd2 Hondas, most tuning software will let you disable and even change parameters of codes. for example, when upgrading a chevy's charging capabilities, I will use hptuners to disable code 601 which is generator 'f' terminal.

here is my eld bypass....
Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive
that is why an ~820 ohm resistor in the end of the plug will trick the PCM into thinking the ELD is present and there is sufficient draw to keep the alt on while not throwing a code.
Refer to keep_hope_alive's reply at post #98.

Old 02-16-2014, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive
great info. that is not something to bypass.
The LIN wire between the alternator/regulator and PCM is not something to bypass; but, since the ELD is still separately located (still in under-hood fuse/relay box) for the 2013/14 Accords and there is still a separate wire going from the ELD to the PCM, wouldn't something like your ELD bypass theoretically still work?

Old 02-16-2014, 04:17 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by MANTI5
Anyone know if an alt with an external regulator would help get around this?
For the 2013/14 Accords, the wiring circuits changed between the voltage regulator and the PCM. The current generation Honda Civic is most likely the same as the 2013/14 Accords.

Most, if not all previous generation Hondas had alternator/voltage regulators which utilize five terminal wires: Ignition (IG), Control (C), Field Reference (FR), Battery (B), and Lamp (L). The 2013/14 Accord alternator/voltage regulator utilizes two terminal wires: Local Interconnect Network (LIN) and Battery (B).

Because of the wiring differences, an external regulator would still need to be LIN controlled by the same single LIN wire. So, this would probably not change anything. In addition, most external regulators out on the the market are not LIN compatible.

Last edited by redbull-1; 02-19-2014 at 09:02 PM.
Old 02-16-2014, 05:14 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Ok, thanks. I was asking because I sent an email to a guy that builds h/o alts and he said he could do one with an external regulator and I wasn't sure if that would make any difference. But if the 9th gens still have an eld, would unplugging it work like it did on the 8th gens or would you need a more elaborate bypass like what was discussed earlier in this thread?

Old 02-16-2014, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator

Let's wait for keep_hope_alive to possibly respond, he is the resident expert on the ELD bypass.

Quick Reply: Honda Electrical Load Detection (ELD) Bypass