Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Honda Electrical Load Detection (ELD) Bypass

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 05:46 PM
Senior Member Stereo Guru..Almost A Mod :)

the external regulator takes the place of the plug that normally goes into the alt. so the alternator is in no way communicating with the computer in the car. it does strictly what the regulator tells it to do. I can not imagine how the car could tell the alt not to charge fully.

Old 02-18-2014, 02:45 PM
Newest Of Newbies

If that's true then that's great. I've been waiting almost a year to get a good system again.

Old 02-18-2014, 03:55 PM

I would still wait for KHA, he is a lot more knowledgeable on on this subject than I am. but the only thing that connects to my alternator (7th gen externally reuglated) is a single wire from the reg, the power wire to the battery, the serpentine belt, and the mounting brackets. I cant imagine any way the the car could change the voltage.

I will see if I can get him to come over to the forum and post up.

Old 02-18-2014, 03:58 PM
Super Moderator

Ask the guy that builds the HO alternator with external regulator, how will the wiring be hooked-up to your current car which may only have a LIN wire and Battery wire for the alternator/regulator?

Old 02-18-2014, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by redbull-1
The LIN wire between the alternator/regulator and PCM is not something to bypass; but, since the ELD is still separately located (still in under-hood fuse/relay box) for the 2013/14 Accords and there is still a separate wire going from the ELD to the PCM, wouldn't something like your ELD bypass theoretically still work?
correct - bypassing the ELD simply eliminates a signal that the PCM uses to determine if the alternator field current can be turned off. by bypassing the ELD you simply take control of that signal.

for each Honda, i recommend measuring the actual voltage drop across the ELD with all dash electronics on (fans, radio, lights, etc.)

using an H.O. alt with an external regulator - you still have the PCM controlling field current, correct? i guess some alternators could be designed to have separate control - but i suspect that the computer will be confused when the alt/voltage doesn't respond in a way it expects, or if the load on each wire from the PCM isn't what it should be.

Old 02-18-2014, 07:43 PM
Newest Of Newbies

So would it be ok to unplug the ELD in the 9th gen Civics? I asked in a Civic forum and got this response: "Yes unplug your 9th gen civic's eld that way your vsa ,ps,and emissions lights come on the dash And your i-mid will constantly blare at you And limit your cars speed. I mean it works for 8th gens right?why not 9ths?there both civic's I guess they have to be the same."

Old 02-18-2014, 09:19 PM

that is just them being unhelpful jerks. I wish I could give you a more for certain answer. on my car i was told dashlights would stay on if I did so. they didnt however and it did fix the voltage situation. however, I cant tell you for sure it will on yours. I would call mechman or dc power or one of the more known alt companies. I am sure your civic is not the first 9th gen they will have encountered. and they will be able to answer you directly and professionally.

Old 02-18-2014, 10:15 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I figured as much, thanks. I'll shoot a few messages to those alt makers and see what they say.

Old 02-19-2014, 12:33 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Not sounding too good, just got this back from Mechman:
"We do not offer anything for that vehicle. It uses a single pin CANbus interface to the alternator, we don’t even have the means to dyno test one."
DC Power sells one but said this: "The way we sell the alternator is the same way Honda puts it out. Unfortunately we have no way of bypassing it, we know there is a way to do it but it's not something we can do."

Last edited by MANTI5; 02-19-2014 at 12:41 PM.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:15 PM

sorry man. that doesnt sound like it is gonna work the same way as mine.

Quick Reply: Honda Electrical Load Detection (ELD) Bypass