Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Honda Electrical Load Detection (ELD) Bypass

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 06:25 AM
Super Moderator

A battery bank is required for high power systems, and you are still stuck with lower voltage. Multiple alternator setups are preferred.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:42 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive
A battery bank is required for high power systems, and you are still stuck with lower voltage. Multiple alternator setups are preferred.
Im not trying to magically get more power from putting the resistor in, Im just checking whether the plug needs to be connected back.

And if it wasnt hot most of the time here I would have already replaced the compressor with a second alt.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:44 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by fritosaregood
Im not trying to magically get more power from putting the resistor in, Im just checking whether the plug needs to be connected back.

And if it wasnt hot most of the time here I would have already replaced the compressor with a second alt.
The plug should not be plugged back in.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:47 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by crispin
5,000 watts needs way more than 270 amps

If you have all class D amps which run around 80% efficiency

5000 watts / 14 volts / 80% = 446 amps plus the car needs around 40 amps

You need around a 500 Amp alternator to run a 5K system.

Even though it is slightly off topic what equipment are you running that draws 5,000?

Also most if not all high output alts made by the big guys like Mechaman or DC Power have the ELD bypassed already.

What alt are you running and what subs do you have that handle 5,000 watts?

I know all of the basic math behind it, but you also dont "need" a 500 amp alt. Thats why have I have a bank of D3100s. But Ive tried mechman and it wasnt too good for my car, Now I have DC but i still only charge at 13.8 and deal with the alt shutting off.

and btw it will be a 13k setup by the summer, but next year I will be moving it to a tahoe with 4 alts. Ill pm you with the system details to not clutter up the thread.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:59 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by crispin
The plug should not be plugged back in.

I left it unplugged. Any thoughts on why it would still shut off?

Old 03-24-2012, 12:42 AM
Super Moderator

How do you know it is shutting off and you don't have voltage drop or are drawing more than the alt is providing?

The ECM still has control over the alternator field current. Leaving the ELD plug disconnected doesn't give the ECM the low voltage it wants to see to keep the field current on, but it does see 0 volts on the sense wire, which isn't what it expects.

Old 03-24-2012, 05:29 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive
How do you know it is shutting off and you don't have voltage drop or are drawing more than the alt is providing?

The ECM still has control over the alternator field current. Leaving the ELD plug disconnected doesn't give the ECM the low voltage it wants to see to keep the field current on, but it does see 0 volts on the sense wire, which isn't what it expects.

I know its shutting off because my voltage drops with no load on the alt besides just the car running. and I can feel the difference in the engine from the alt on and off.

Old 03-24-2012, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator

You sure it isn't the A/C compressor you can feel turning on/off? Have you tried using a resistor in the ELD plug? What does the voltage drop from/to?

For my benefit, start from the beginning. what all have you done? New alt and unplugged the ELD?

Old 03-24-2012, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator

From a service manual:
ECM Fail-safe Function:
When an abnormality occurs in a signal from a sensor, the ECM ignores that signal and assumes a pre-programmed value for that sensor that allows the engine to run.

Unplugging the ELD may result in the ECM ignoring it.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:42 PM

hello, I'm just wondering if this work also in a civic 7th gen? i have the Civic ex '01 and i identified the ELD in the fuse box. just wondering if this would work for me as well?

i've been trying to find a solution for my sound system but couldn't find anything that could actually help until now.

Quick Reply: Honda Electrical Load Detection (ELD) Bypass