Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Installing Front Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 05:06 PM
tarheelbf
Unregistered
Default Installing Front Speakers

So I tried to find a post on this but wasn't successful. I have an 04 Accord EX Sedan and am in the process of replacing the speakers. I bought some Infinity 692.9i's for the rear and some 62.9i's for the front. I was successful in installing the rear, and they sound soooooooo good, even with the stock radio, but am having major problems with the front two. I get the door panel off with ease, but because the OEM speakers are in a Honda proprietary mold, I am finding it difficult to install those. The Infinity speakers come with adapters, but non that fit this. The mold is held into the door by three clips, two on the bottom and one at the top. I can't figure this one out and it is starting to get frustrated. Has anyone else attempted to replace these? And if so, what did you do?
Also, this is one of the best forums I have seen out there, so mad props to all those helpful people out there.

Old 12-21-2008, 12:18 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Installing Front Speakers

I tossed the whole stock speaker. I had make to the hole larger for my driver to fit, but I mounted my baffle and speaker right to the panel. I don't think there is an adapter, but I never looked for one. How much depth does your speaker need, if i remember correctly there is only 2" so you may need to make a baffle.

Old 12-21-2008, 09:19 AM
tarheelbf
Unregistered

Ooooohhhhh, I believe the Infinity 62.9i's are 2 3/16" depth. The good thing is that the Infinity's did come with spacers and if I have to drill holes, I will be using those.
I didn't even think about baffle's.Would that even be necessary? I don't want to lose any sound quality.

Old 12-21-2008, 11:08 AM
tarheelbf
Unregistered

So I tried at it again and found that I need to get a spacer. Sucks but, hey, what are you gonna do? I will write back when it's all said and done.

Old 12-21-2008, 11:17 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Use sealant when you mount the baffle up. And you can use 1/4ply if that's all you need. MDF is better, but it is very humid where I live so I opted for ply. There is tons of room in front of the speaker, a bit more than 2 inches.