Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Ipod adapter question

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by SSharon
Just to give an update to anyone reading this I got the bulbs from radio shack (they are in a baggie now instead of the box like they are in the pictures on the acura forum) and the replacement was pretty straightforward. I'll make sure they work tomorrow, but I don't see why they wouldn't.
Good news! The bulb from radio shack worked fine and only took a few minutes to replace.

I got the ISHD571 in the mail today and will install it over the weekend I hope. Is anyone interested in pictures? If people have special requests I can make sure to take them during my installation. Don't be shy, let me know!

Old 06-02-2011, 05:34 PM

I'd love to see the pictures

Old 06-02-2011, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by tkrotchko
I'd love to see the pictures
No problem! I'm a bit swamped at work so this might get pushed off until Sunday or Monday though. Also, have you looked at the tutorial here? 2003-2006 Honda Accord iPod Installation Are there any specific parts of that which aren't clear that I can take better pictures of (with more light, for example)?

Old 06-03-2011, 11:40 AM

No, I had just never seen this tutorial. Thanks.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:54 AM

I haven't had a chance to finish the installation, but I did test out the unit and it works as advertised. All I have left to do is wrap some of the wires in electrical tape (I'm noticing a bit extra static on the FM radio that I didn't notice before), drill a hole through the cubby, and close it all up.

A few notes:
Unplugging the old wire in the back of the head unit was really hard, but not as hard as plugging in the new wire. The old wire had very little slack so I could barely move it out of the way enough to get the new cable in which had to be facing me.

The controls will take some getting used to. Navigating through the menus is slow and sometimes drops out. I plan on setting up some new playlists to avoid having to use the menus.

The display shows track names, etc., but in my opinion it could use the display better. I would rather have the artist name constantly displayed rather than "XM ch001".

The sound quality is great, which is to be expected.

My unit had the second to newest firmware so I didn't need to update it to work with iOS4. Of course iOS5 comes out today and I'm not sure how this will affect things.

Old 06-07-2011, 11:16 PM
Super Moderator

thanks for the great follow up and continued input!

Old 06-08-2011, 01:15 PM

well the other day I removed all the parts needed for the install and it took about 10 min, I can probly do it in 5 now. I also swapped out the bulbs(decided to go to radio shack to do it the way you did) that took a few minutes. Thursday Ill be installing the ISHD571 n ill tell you how it works for me although it should be the same cus we got the same car.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:59 AM

So... last night at 11:30 my dad got home from work n called me to say he got the part. I actually went to his house picked it up n installed it last night. It works great. A bit confusing but easy to use now, when changing to use the ipod you have to change to xm then immediately hit the tune button or the +/- change button on the steering wheel till you see ipod( it will say sat, aux1, aux2, then ipod.) The hardest part of the install was removing the stock satelite plug from the radio, I ended up using a key that was shaped like a stop sign to push the little button in and push back at the same time. Besides the 7 mosquito bites I got last night it was well worth it.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:00 AM

Well I just installed mine on a 2007 EX-L I4 on monday. I bought the Isimple brand from amazon. I believe for the year you have, you would purchase the ISIM73 model of this ipod adapter. My buddy and I installed it in an hour and used youtube videos. This was my first time to ever do anything like this and it was too easy and the ipod sounds great!! Best Buy had the adapter and install for $179. I paid $30 plus $9 shipping and did it myself. I really would highly recommend this brand and strategy to anyone. Good Luck with it.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by barticus520
So... last night at 11:30 my dad got home from work n called me to say he got the part. I actually went to his house picked it up n installed it last night. It works great. A bit confusing but easy to use now, when changing to use the ipod you have to change to xm then immediately hit the tune button or the +/- change button on the steering wheel till you see ipod( it will say sat, aux1, aux2, then ipod.) The hardest part of the install was removing the stock satelite plug from the radio, I ended up using a key that was shaped like a stop sign to push the little button in and push back at the same time. Besides the 7 mosquito bites I got last night it was well worth it.
I'm glad to hear that your install went well (and that you got the bulbs from radio shack). Getting that plug out in the back was hard, but I found getting the new plug in to be just as challenging.

Where did you end up running the wire? I'm planning on drilling a hole in the cubby and putting in a grommet I bought at home depot, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. In the meantime, I loosely put the cubby back in but left the "ashtray" part out so the wire could pass through there.

Did you tape any of your wires? Have you gone back to the FM radio to see how the sound quality compares to before the install?

Quick Reply: Ipod adapter question