Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

iPod integration!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 03:01 PM
jlilly
Unregistered
Default RE: iPod integration!!

steev, does your car have Navi? If not, does it make a difference?

Old 12-01-2005, 10:40 PM
pops
Unregistered

I have 05 LX special edition with 6 CD changer ... how do i connect a mp3 player to it ... any site, links will greatly help

Old 12-02-2005, 11:52 AM
chrisj34ks
Unregistered

check this out...

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2005...ipod_auto.html

I wonder if there will be a cleaner accessory for Honda's now.

Old 12-04-2005, 08:35 PM

the 06 civics come with an optional aux input

Old 02-05-2006, 10:46 PM
lmarie
Unregistered

Steev,

I'd be very interested to hear how this is working for you. I installed the Icelink in my '04 Honda Accord with Nav in 5/05 when they first came out.

Do you have the navigation system? The unit does not do text display of the track information on the factory navi unit. Although Dension told me it would before I bought it. You can't browse playlists or artists. All you can do from the stereo controls is select the 1st 5 playlists on your ipod or change tracks within a playlist. Otherwise you have to go to Track 6 and activate the Icelink menu which displays on the ipod, not on the navigation screen. Another thing they lied about to me before I bought it, they said I'd be able to do all that on the navigation screen. They also didn't mention that you'd be going through an Icelink menu rather than the ipod menus.

All that said, my biggest problems and disappointment with it are the connectivity. My car battery has died twice. I had the Icelink set to only charge the ipod while playing. On the 2nd time Honda did a draw test and found the radio was pulling 68 amps when the car was turned off and the ipod wasn't even connected to the IceLink!! Went back to Best Buy and had them pull out the IceLink and cable and restore navigation/radio connection to factory standard. Honda redid the draw test and found it's now normal.

When I got the Icelink directly from Dension, they sent instructions from Logjam for buying a Honda cable and splicing it on the Icelink cable so that's what Best Buy did. I suspect that may be the issue but I'm not sure. Best Buy checked it and says they did the splicing correctly. Now Dension says to buy a different Honda cable that's a Y cable (part 08A31-0F1-000) as an alternative to the splicing. Is that what you used? Have you tested the draw on your battery with the IceLink installed to make sure the unit isn't drawing power when you car is off? Do you ever let your car sit for periods of time? I don't drive my Accord all the time so it'll be weeks sometimes before I go to start it up. If i'd been driving it everyday, I probably wouldn't have found out about the draw issue until some other unfortunate time down the road.

Also the unit malfunctions frequently, even after sent back for a warranty replacement. Either the stereo doesn't recognize it when I start the car. Or while playing it'll skip to track 99 and then stop playing. It'll work again after the car is restarted one or more times.

I for one, am sorely disappointed in the Icelink. I was as excited as you when I got it, but that excitement has just turned to frustration. I'll be calling Dension again tomorrow to try and get them to be of some help in this.

They shouldn't be selling it unless they include the proper wiring to install it and a safe way to install it without causing a draw. They never said a word about the special wiring requirements until after the unit shipped.

LMarie

Old 02-06-2006, 12:18 AM
lmarie
Unregistered

For those interested, I found a very detailed review of the new Honda Music Link integration system mentioned in the Apple article link someone posted previously. It doesn't sound good at all. Sounds worse than my Icelink.

http://www.nuxx.net/hondamusiclink.html

Old 02-06-2006, 01:08 AM

I found that site about the Honda music link very informative and helpful, so kudos to whomever runs it.

I really hope honda makes an effort to design something that integrates better. for now, i'm going to try this: http://www.mp3yourcar.com

The Neo iOn. volume & track control from head unit/steering wheel. Browsing on the iPod itself (everything, not just playlists like the icelink).

i'll let you know how it goes after i install.

Old 02-06-2006, 02:01 AM
lmarie
Unregistered

I saw this one at MacWorld and thought it looked really nice and functioned well. If I didn't already have so much money sunk into the IceLink I'd get it.

http://www.harmankardon.com/drive-1/default2.aspx