Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Losing Bass

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 02:19 PM
tomcal
Unregistered
Default Losing Bass

I recently had a 12 inch JL sub installed in my '04 Honda Accord. I've noticed however I face the sub, that it doesn't sound very good in the car. The strange thing is, if I pop the trunk, the bass then sounds great inside my car. Do you know if this could be anything with the setup or how I'm facing the sub?? As soon as I close the trunk, the bass goes way down. Thanks for any help in advance!

Old 05-10-2006, 02:54 PM
Default RE: Losing Bass

If it is just really quite you could try dropping open that little compartment that leads to the trunk from the back seat and see if that helps. Is it because your getting a rattling sound by chance? If that is the case, I'd definitely recommend some dynomat. I know mine sound bad at higher volumes because my trunk rattles like crazy. Awesome choice on brand though; JL makes some really good stuff.

Old 05-10-2006, 03:05 PM
tomcal
Unregistered

Weird thing is I've tried opening the compartment that leads to the trunk, and had the sub firing into the car, and it still sounds the same. That's what made me think there was something killing the power to the sub while the trunk was closed. When the trunk is closed, you can't really hear the bass outside the car, and there is no rattling. I talked with Tweeter, and they said that you shouldn't have the sub firing straight into the backseat unless it was a fiberglass encasing. However, this is the only way it actually sounds like I got a sub in my trunk.

Old 05-10-2006, 03:59 PM

Here is a gift from me to you...

http://www.installer.com/tech/aiming.html

Once I read this I printed it out so that I could remember (I'm an old fart - 35) which way I wanted to have my subs face.

It gives a very detailed write-up of the logic, as well as the implementation of that logic, so it shouldn't confuse you.

Let me know what you think,

StevePhy

Old 05-10-2006, 04:10 PM

Wow, very nice link Stevephy. I knew there was a difference, but I never would have thought that noise cancellation could have such an effect.