Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Noob with '99 Accord LX Alternator question

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 09:05 PM
Default Noob with '99 Accord LX Alternator question

Hi all :3 I'm still learning all of my Honda/Acura models and compatibilities. So, I have a 1999 Honda Accord LX, auto. tranny, with the 2.3 Vtek F series engine. (with A/C) I'm a bit of a tech junkie so I put a computer in just about everything i do :P. I'm looking at getting a 400-500 Watt power inverter (im not going to use that many watts on the inverter maybe around 400 at the very most but my ideal target seems to be 210 watts for the computer and monitor together.) I believe the stock alternator is 90 amps if I'm not mistaken. I have a brand new very large non-stock battery in for my running battery so I have the ability to sit and listen to the stock radio or my Sony explod for an hour with the car off and still be able to drive away with plenty of power. I don't have like an amp or anything just radios, the 4 stock pioneers, and 2 JD speakers. I do most of my mods and car parts out of the junkyard.

What I need to know and learn:

What year/model Acuras/hondas have the same alternator compatibility stock as my accord for replacement purposes?

Which ones if compatible come stock slightly stonger, like say 105 amp alts or something?

What are the stock rating differences between the trim levels?

Are the older Hondas with 2.3 engines alternators compatible? (don't know if OBD1 vs 2 is a big deal or if you can mod that)

Is there any other brand of car that would have the same type of mounts and functionality just with some harness mods or maybe bypasses? (Just curious and kind of a roadkill experiment type of thing)

Finally, would i be able to do this with a 90 Watter or no?

Thank you for reading and I am eager to learn. I also realize a computer in a car isn't practical but its just cool and a fun project for me :P.

EDIT: Also there will be a solar panel on the running battery and this is all on me you are not responsible if i screw something up XD.

Last edited by Foxi D'elegance; 05-01-2014 at 09:09 PM. Reason: extra info
Old 05-01-2014, 11:07 PM
Super Moderator

welcome to HAF. sounds like some cool projects you have planned. The 6th gen is a joy to work on and with and a good platform for a carPC.

the main issue with cross-platform compatibility is mounting. anything with the same engine should mount up fine. different engines will require some research.

you won't gain in output with the same engine just because of trim level. but you do have a lot of options with upgrades in the 4cyl model.

the PCM controls the alternator field current. the alternator wiring is discussed here: https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...-bypass-32726/

Old 05-02-2014, 12:55 PM

Thanks for the quick response and thanks for the info Looks like I'm going to go for an 800 watt inverter to have plenty of room. Considering that Acura is Honda's luxury brand do you think a first gen. Acura with the same engine would have more interior electronics and therefore a bigger alt or do they keep it standard around the board?:3