Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Upgrading stereo that awful metra install kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 09:01 AM
Default Upgrading stereo that awful metra install kit

I need help, please.
Honda accord 07
Ex
4 cylinder with factory six disc player

For months I've been trying to find a way to upgrade my stereo to work with my phone (android htc one).
There's the cheap I simple connect solution like I simple tranzit blu or I simple connect.
There's a new head unit like a pioneer or jvc DVD unit with mirror link. But the only install kit I can find is the awful looking metra 99 kit. This has stopped me every time.
And I just found on ebay what appears to be oem head units with DVD players and nav for 07 dual zone accords.

Is there a way to get the frame like the oem version but plug in a new double din unit? Are there other install kits beside metra? Does anyone know anything about the quality of the eBay authorized reseller items? Otto Navi GPS Radio CD DVD Navigation iPod Player for Honda 2006 Accord 03 04 05 | eBay

And I get why DVD player from a touchscreen and capabilities mode but don't get the rules around watching a DVD. Can the player be hooked up with a screen in the back and provide movie watching for my son while we drive?

Thanks for your help. It starts so simply.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:37 PM
Senior Member Stereo Guru..Almost A Mod :)

Originally Posted by Glacier point
I need help, please.
Honda accord 07
Ex
4 cylinder with factory six disc player

For months I've been trying to find a way to upgrade my stereo to work with my phone (android htc one).
There's the cheap I simple connect solution like I simple tranzit blu or I simple connect.
There's a new head unit like a pioneer or jvc DVD unit with mirror link. But the only install kit I can find is the awful looking metra 99 kit. This has stopped me every time.
Dont think you are really gonna find an option better than the metra unless you can find someone to do a completely custom dash.
And I just found on ebay what appears to be oem head units with DVD players and nav for 07 dual zone accords.
If it is not from honda, then it is one that has a ton of mixed reviews. most of the review problems seem to pertain to the language issue because it is a foreign unit.

Is there a way to get the frame like the oem version but plug in a new double din unit?
got enough money, time, or skill and there is a way. you could build a brand new dash kit and relocate the factory one so that you retain all of the factory controls. Are there other install kits beside metra?
Havent seen any.
Does anyone know anything about the quality of the eBay authorized reseller items?
Otto Navi GPS Radio CD DVD Navigation iPod Player for Honda 2006 Accord 03 04 05 | eBay
Looks pretty legit, not like the knock off ones, but I dont know much about that model.

And I get why DVD player from a touchscreen and capabilities mode but don't get the rules around watching a DVD. Can the player be hooked up with a screen in the back and provide movie watching for my son while we drive? yes it is legal as long as the driver cannot see the screen that is playing.

Thanks for your help. It starts so simply.
Hope this helps some.

Old 03-25-2014, 01:47 AM
Administrator

How you doing Neo..glad to see you

Old 03-25-2014, 08:50 AM
Senior Member Stereo Guru..Almost A Mod :)

pretty good, just been busy.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:09 PM
Super Moderator

likewise. thanks Neo.

get the Metra kit and paint it to look better. or look at Scosche.

the crappy kit is worth the improvement. I like Alpine's new head units with TuneIt - a free app that allows you to tune the head unit's time alignment, 9-band parametric EQ, and crossovers. The CDE-147BT, CDE-HD148BT, and the CDE-HD149BT are solid performers.

Old 03-29-2014, 07:59 PM

Thanks for the help...

Old 05-04-2014, 12:01 AM

My question is if I want to install an aftermarket gps receiver (alpine) where the radio is in my 07 honda accord SE (single climate zone), do I have to change the bottom box for an aftermarket (metra pocket) also?
Thanks

Old 05-04-2014, 12:21 AM
Super Moderator

no, just the top kit. the pocket kit is for a single DIN HU or pocket if you wish, but not required.