Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Odd AM whine.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:23 PM
Default Odd AM whine.

Hi all,
I just had my system moved from one car to another, car 1 totaled...ugh, and now have an odd whine.

The whine is only when listening to AM and only at 790 frequency, which is my local station news/talk that I enjoy. If my hu is set at AM and I start the car the whine starts low and rises in pitch a bit then drops off. As I drive it returns sporadically though as I drive under some high power lines it appears and gets loud then dissipates as I leave the area. This leads me to believe it is a shielding issue. It is not an alternator whine as it is not affected by engine rpm, does not occur in FM nor with CD's or my thumb drive.
I did not have this problem in its last car except the AM noise picked up when passing below the occasional high power wires as when listening to AM talk shows...yes I am a talk show fan hehehe.

I will be spending some time checking the RCA's, ground, etc. today.
I had the system installed at my local shop due to time constraints...work too many hours ugh...I have discussed the whine with the installer and other than bringing it in...again time constraints...he had no concrete ideas beyond checking the wiring, etc.
Any other ideas or suggestions will be very appreciated.[/align][/align]Update: [/align]Some on http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/feel it is the switching supply on the amp but I did not have this problem when the system was in the Altima.[/align]There are several differences on the install...'98 Altima is the original system install, the system is now in an '04 Accord EX...The first is the ground/power wiring which is now 4 guage opposed to 8 guage in the Altima. Another is the placement of the fuse. In the Altima it was mounted on the fender well, it is now mounted on the battery brace. I wonder if this could be the problem?
I paid more attention to the interference and it is present on other AM stations...there are only 3 in this area LOL...but very low and barely noticeable compared to 790.
I checked the wiring today and all seems to be as it should with that one exception.
I think I am going to move the fuse holder tomorrow to see if that is the cause.
The hardware is installed in the same locations in the Accord as they were in the Altima.[/align]

Old 09-28-2007, 02:01 PM
Default RE: Odd AM whine.

It does sound like a grounding issue to me.... I'd check all of your motor grounds as well as re-locate that fuse.