Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

One din system help!

Old 02-28-2012, 07:28 PM
Question One din system help!

Hi everyone,

I've been browsing the site for a while, and usually find all the answers to my questions, but I've had some trouble with this one so I signed up lol. I've got an 04 accord, and I've finally saved enough money to make some changes all at once. I've got halos/hids and a new grill shipping, and I'm tinting my tail lights in the summer. Now, one of my final changes I want to do is a new in-dash system, speakers, and a sub.

First, I'm starting with the in-dash. I've seen the lower-cubby installs of the two din, and I'm not sure I like how low the system is compared to eye level. So, I think what I want to do is a one din with a flip out touch screen, but I'm not sure what a good brand would be. I also need to know a little bit on installing one (is it hard??)

Thanks!
Angela

P.S. any suggestions on speakers and subs to look for in the future as well?

Old 02-29-2012, 06:08 PM
Senior Member Stereo Guru..Almost A Mod :)

brands would be the same as for any other. I like pioneer. It isnt that much harder than a regular stereo. it has step by step instructions on how to do it. back up cameras take a little bit of wiring and finding the E-brake switch to hook the dvd player into is a little more work.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:14 PM

Hm, okay. Do you know if the one din with the flip out motorized touch screen fits? I measured and it seems a little small, but I'm new to installing things into cars, do maybe I'm doing it wrong?

Old 03-01-2012, 05:41 PM
Senior Member Stereo Guru..Almost A Mod :)

itll fit as long as you have a dash kit for your car. one problem I thought about today however is that if you are mounting in the cubby that may be a problem. on those flip up the screen comes out when the key is turned on. when you turn your key on your gear shift is in park. the screen could hit the shifter.

Old 03-03-2012, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

getting a flip out monitor to work will be tricky. you need a good 5" of undisturbed height above the hu and the same in front if it. i advise against it, i haven't seen that type of HU done in the Accord pocket before. (i'll browse a bit)

does your accord have digital climate control? if analog (dials) you can get a replacement kit:
Metra 99-7864 2003-2004 Honda Accord Stereo installation kit.

Old 03-04-2012, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive
getting a flip out monitor to work will be tricky. you need a good 5" of undisturbed height above the hu and the same in front if it. i advise against it, i haven't seen that type of HU done in the Accord pocket before. (i'll browse a bit)

does your accord have digital climate control? if analog (dials) you can get a replacement kit:
Metra 99-7864 2003-2004 Honda Accord Stereo installation kit.

My car has dials. What I was wanting to do is replace the stock stereo with this, so the flip out monitor would be at eye level, and the only thing it would really be in front of is the little air vents, which I wouldn't mind. My only concern is that I don't think that area is big enough for the flip out monitors that I have een finding. If that's the case I may just have to give up and install a two din in the cubby... But I'd like that to be a last resort lol

Old 03-04-2012, 01:34 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

the flip outs are signal DIN. - no bigger -- no smaller

If you can get a kit to put a signal DIN below your a/c controls then you can install a signal DIN radio / flip out, whatever you want there.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:55 PM

03/103/13 I was also told by the guys at Best Buy that Metranow has a dash kit that allows new stereos to be installed higher in the dash,where the factory stereo was mounted, which improves the line of site to thenew stereo. Metra still makes the olderdash kit that mounts the stereo unit closer to console for the shifter **** of thevehicle. The only downside is that itcosts approx. $300. I had alreadypurchased and installed the older kit from Metra, so my new stereo is mountedlow and closer to the shifter console. Ithink it is just fine mounted at the lower location, especially since the clockin my factory stereo now serves as my clock, and I use the display of my newstereo exclusively to display the radio station/CD track information. Hope this is helpful to fellowdo-it-your-selfers!

03/03/12 On a similarnote, to get the lights for existing heating, A/C and stereo/clock toilluminate, purchase a reverse (male) harness (Metra 71-1721) throughsonicelectronix.com for $12, and plug it into the back of the factory stereoand wire to correct illumination wires for the climate control buttons on thedash. Rather than dismantling thedashboard again after I installed my new car stereo myself, I took my car to toBest Buy, where they wired it for $21 including tax. Works great. It was not real safe to operate the vehicle at night, while trying toadjust heating and A/C until I did this.