Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Power setup for Garmin Nuvi?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 05:16 AM
msink
Unregistered
Default Power setup for Garmin Nuvi?

Hello All,

I bought a Nuvi 200w for a freind of mine who has an 07 Accord. Currently using the 12v adapter under the arm rest, with Nuvi mounted on the dash via suction cup and Sticky Pad. From what Ive seen about the Nuvi, probably the best way to power it is to wire up an additional 12v adapter, and hide it inside the dash somehwere, then plug in the OEM Garmin power adapter.

So, my first question is is there a writeup, or other info on adding and hiding the adapter? How to wire it, etc. Since I dont own an Accord, even finding out how to remove dash panels would help. I dont want to mess up a brand new car.

Second, if Nuvi is on the dash,whats the best route for the cord? Should I gointo the A/C vents, and would I be able to popup somewhere to mate with the 12v adapter?

Any advice on any of this would be helpful.

Mark
[/align]

Old 12-26-2007, 08:59 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Power setup for Garmin Nuvi?

Well my Nuvi 350 lasts about 6 hours without a charge, and I don't even run my charger in my car..

Much like my p hone, I charge my Nuvi at home, or if i'm going on insanely long trips (like i just did) i'll just hook it up when it's almost dead... limits the management of the wires/etc..

I also pull it out when i leave the car (I might leave the mount, but pull out the unit)

Old 12-28-2007, 01:10 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

sounds like a lot of work for something you dont use all the time. i would run the wires up to the rearview mirror and down the a-pillar to the fuse box.

but, there are airbags in those things now, so be very careful.

Old 03-15-2008, 01:58 PM
msink
Unregistered

Still looking for anyone with info pertaining to my post. Anyone?

Thanks,
mark