Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Rear speakers aren't working.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 11:27 PM
Almost A Senior Member

My 1993 Accord LX uses 6 1/2" rounds in the doors and the rear deck as well.

Old 07-14-2011, 11:34 PM
Almost A Senior Member

At the moment I'm just going to buy the new speakers like I said earlier. I'm still kind of blown away that I can pick up a pair for under $20.00.

The only reason why I haven't yet is because I don't know if there are compatibility issues such as wattage that I have to select for.

The 1993 Accord LX does use 6.5 inch speakers. I have them out now and measured them, they're also round like BigPat said not oblongish or oval.

It would be great if I could get help on what wattage does and how I can determine if there are any compatibility issues or whether I can just drop these in. I'm going to go work on the foam surround for the front door speakers now though.

Old 07-16-2011, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator

just make sure whatever speakers you get are 4 ohm. anything 20W or more will be fine.

Old 07-16-2011, 04:27 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Alright thanks.

I'm going to buy the replacement rear speakers soon. The front door speakers I repaired work excellently! I centered it perfectly so there's no static and the sound is crisp, clear and loud, absolutely love the sound coming out of these now.

A far cry from before where it would have severe distortion and static as soon as the volume became loud. It would also sound tinny and the volume was almost like it was capped to a lower limit. Now it can go up much higher.

The rear speakers I tried to repair using the wire glue are a lost cause though. The cones are all rotted away from sun exposure anyway like BigPat said, they're so brittle they literally rip into pieces when you put the slightest bit of pressure on them.

The only thing I'm wondering now is how long the glue holding the foam and speakers together will last. I've used the glue most people said they use (Aleene's Tackyy Glue). No idea how long it will last but I'm happy now so whatever.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:55 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Hello everyone, I figured bumping an old thread would be better the posting a new topic so here we go. After searching the forums this was the only thread I found with a problem close to mine. My 2004 Honda accord left rear speaker doesn't work. I noticed it didn't work after my friend installed a pioneer head unit for me, seeing as how the right one worked i figured it must have blown and didn't really care since I was gonna replace them soon.
So now I've replaced all four speakers and the left rear still doesn't work so I'm assuming it has to be something with the head unit. So my question now is I know nothing about radio installation but if i somehow manage to take out the dash kit and expose the wires will it be something as simple as plugging a wire in so my speaker can work? Or should i get a professional to do it?

Old 01-24-2012, 07:06 PM
Senior Member Stereo Guru..Almost A Mod :)

sounds like a bad splice on the positive or the negative on the lr wires. pull the deck. cut the splice point out. strip the wire again. then re splice. solder and heat shrink. I am about 75% sure that is your problem

Old 01-24-2012, 08:13 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by neophyte
sounds like a bad splice on the positive or the negative on the lr wires. pull the deck. cut the splice point out. strip the wire again. then re splice. solder and heat shrink. I am about 75% sure that is your problem
Thanks, is it as simple as you make it seem?

Old 01-24-2012, 09:07 PM
Senior Member Stereo Guru..Almost A Mod :)

yea its pretty easy. should be the green and the green with black stripe wires.