Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Replacement Speakers for the Front doors

Old 05-26-2008, 10:24 PM
Default RE: Replacement Speakers for the Front doors

I acutally use the one inch spacer on my doors and the worked out good. and infinity will give you a great sound as well. they have a really good range so the will give you "more" sound, which will make them sound louder. as far as the headunit, the only way it matters is if you have an amp, in which case, you want to make sure you have the pre-outs. if not, all headunits run around 50-52 watts per channel. if you wanted to add an amp, you want to find one with a good RMto match the speakers and it will turn out fine. If you know what your doing then you could try yourself, but if not i would reccommend going to a professional installer. I work at a best buy in FL and if you go there and ask, they will answer any questions in better detail if you want to go through it quickly. If not just ask me and i can tell you what you need to know. I spent some time installing myself. hope this helps

Old 05-27-2008, 12:01 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Most head units supply 50W peak per channel. I had decent Pioneer speakers powered by the stock headunit and they didn't sound pretty at all. They sounded really dirty as the volume was increased. Once I connected them to my Alpine HU the problem was solved, they're now crisp and clean.

Amping the stock HU is definitely a possibility, you'll need a line level to RCA converter though.

You sound quality is going to increase dramatically over the stock 20W speakers either way. See what they sound like with the stock HU and then decide if they need to be amped.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:56 AM

Should you ever decide to amp the stock head unit you will need a signal processor likethe JL Clean Sweep. The stock head has drastic equalization curves to make up for the poor stock speakers and when amplified the sound is quite distorted. The Clean Sweep removes the excessive equalization and provides a flat signal. Mine is mounted (hidden) in the dash and goes between the stock head and the amp providing a flat super clean signal to the amp. The result is quite remarkable. The only change in looks is the Clean Sweep has its own volume control which will be used instead of the volume **** on the head unit.

The volume is the silver **** below the e-brake.
The other photo just shows how sub and amp were mounted.
I'm no guru I paid for installation, Kicker speakers had already replaced the OEM junk.
The Clean Sweep (not shown) also allows for an external plug in like an Ipod.

[IMG]local://upfiles/127/C853DC61E9BE49DCA39707306DA66636.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/127/7AA3EA3B098E4870843D9584095DCD8F.jpg[/IMG]