Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Simple amplifier question

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 11:24 PM
Default Simple amplifier question

Hi guys,

I have some Sony Xplosion 3-way speakers that can output 300W-400W ... I don't have any subs but i like bass. Do you recommend buying an amplifier to power up those rear speakers ? Thanks.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:30 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Speakers don't put out anything, the rating means how much power they can handle. You just bought some of the worst speakers money can buy, not even an amplifier will make them sound good. If you like bass you need a sub. Do some research before buying, or even saying anything.

Old 06-03-2009, 02:34 AM

holy hell this thread was a fail.

Old 06-03-2009, 01:29 PM

More like both of his threads.... Talk about logic....

Old 06-06-2009, 12:58 PM

Well, you heard other opinions, and of course it's nice to start out with a good set of speakers and if you have the money a subwoofer/amp.
The problem is that the Honda head unit does not have rca outputs that you can amplify. If it did you could have just bought an amp like you say, and do your set up. Then later on you could have replaced the fronts, add a sub and complete the system.
So now you can get one of those rca converters that pick up your stock speaker signal and process it and has rca outputs witch you can amplify and try your speakers. That is not a great set up for a couple of reasons. When you want to amplify something you need to get the low level signal that is pretty much distorsion free. In an audio system the part that has the most distorsion is the power amp, so picking up the speaker signal is not a good idea.
Another alternative is to replace the head unit with an aftermarket unit, and make sure you get the rca outputs. Then you hook up into your amp, replace the speakers, etc. When buying an amp you need to match it to the speakers so that the max power rating of the amp is about 80% of the speakers, so for 300W speakers you need an amp of 240W or close.

Old 06-06-2009, 01:31 PM

^^ Just in addition to what your saying, buying a cheap HU that has RCA doesn't mean the "preamp" outputs won't have any distortion. The IC amp can still cause distortion on lower quality HU's. So a cheap HU can still produce distortion a higher volumes, just becuase it has RCA's doesn't mean it can produce a clean signal at all levels. This info is more for anyone else coming across the thread, not so much the OP...

Old 06-07-2009, 01:55 AM

my head unit is not stock, it's an panasonic CQ-D1703 , it has 1 RCA output ... what's up with you guys? That question was not that logic for someone who doesn't know audio stuffs in cars, espcially about amplifiers, if it was THAT easy, can't you just answer? and what's up with my other thread? If your not helping then don't reply, is it that hard? no wonder why you guys have like hundreds of posts. I bet half of them are bullsht. I thought honda accord forum had nicer people but i guess i was wrong.

Thank you draser for your long explaination.

Last edited by AyashiFX55; 06-07-2009 at 01:58 AM.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:11 AM

Good observation, I thought this forum was supposed to answer questions and try, whenever possible, to be interesting and fun. It does not look that way, does it? On the bright side however, the other areas (General Questions, DYI, etc.) are pretty civilized and informative - check them out!
Back to your question, you're on the right path. If you buy the amp look for a few things: power range of course, frequency range - the wider the better (20hz to 20khz or more), linearity - that is capability to reproduce the frequency range at the same level throughout, it's normally given at +/- 3db, and of course total harmonic distorsion (THD). There are other parameters (channel crosstalk, etc.) and the net is a good source of info. If possible get demos at the store of how it sounds, since it's all subjective, and you may be surprised that an amp with THD of 0.01 may sound better to you than a more expensive one with THD 0.001 - that level of thd is at nominal power and at the level you'll be using it the distorsions are not measurable, nor audible. It's more the linearity that gives the sound feel.

Old 06-07-2009, 11:04 AM

If this wasn't a question that I had answered 1000 times I would be more than glad to help. Why don't you look at most of my posts and tell me if I'm helpful. You can't expect me to be happy to answer a question I've answered 1000 times. A simple search would have provided far more information than I can relay to you in a post. Why might this frustrate someone? I'm here to help people, and contribute my knowledge to these forums. When you have people coming back nonstop with the same very simple questions over and over, it makes you feel like you have done absolutely nothing. If you can't understand that than I'm sorry, just think of me as an *******. This is the internet, we're here to share knowledge and opinions, if you don't like my personality than you can just do on without what I have to offer. If draser were to have been answering questions consistently for the past four years, I think he may get a bit sick of these repeated questions, that make you doubt you've done anything here at all. My post count is irrelevant, why does that even factor in to your opinion of any one. There are plenty of members here who are very knowledgeable and have yet to make a single post. I have just been helping people find their way in a pretty complicated field. So why don't you just look around the first page and see how I deal with people with questions that are not answered with a simple search before you form any sort of opinion of me. Sure I'm not a pushover, you **** me off or frustrate me in anyway I'll be sure to let you know. You do something I find illogical I'll point it out, it may hurt you little feelings, but maybe it will inspire you to think out of fear of being ridiculed. While this is definitely more effective in the real world, I like to think it may have an effect in this world as well.

Last edited by t00fatt; 06-07-2009 at 11:33 AM.