Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

thinking about amping my 6x9's

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 09:49 PM
Default thinking about amping my 6x9's

I got all infinity speakers for my car, they don't really sound any different than the factory speakers to me. They're running off a Pioneer receiver. They are the 2-way reference series rated 100w RMS. Would they be much more impressive with an amp? What kind of amp would be good for these? I'm pretty disappointed with these speakers. I don't want to waste more money into an amp too if it won't make a difference.

Old 01-08-2006, 01:16 AM
rob feature
Unregistered
Default RE: thinking about amping my 6x9's

just changing drivers without changing your power source sounds like it should...similar to what it was. you haven't been too forthcoming with specs, but receivers rarely deliver enough clean power to drive a set of speakers louder than what Martha Stewart likes (i guess). i've heard some amazing things done with slight changes in system power without adding space-robbing enclosures. the 6x9 driver also works well in a medium-sized trunk...using that space as a sort of box. but...if you don't give it enough power to dance around for ya, you're not hearing what you could. i'm just guessing you're getting around 20 watts RMS out of that head unit. try giving them at least 3x that amount...the difference should be noticeable. no matter how good your speaks are, if you aren't giving them the power they need, they just won't perform.

Old 01-08-2006, 11:26 AM
Default RE: thinking about amping my 6x9's

Amp them, they make a big difference. Like he said as long as you put enough power into them. Are you going to go with a 2 channel or a 4 channel amp? If you go with a 2 channel make sure your deck has a xtra pair of RCA's inputs. If you go with a 4 channel it has to have an xtra 2 pair of RCA inputs. Make sure you have at least 70 watts per channel. Also get a distribution block, 4 gauge wire, cause you need new wires to route 2 amps unless u just wiring 1 amp.