Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Upgrading factory stereo unit

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 06:49 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Upgrading factory stereo unit

Have a question about upgrading my stereo head unit. (Factory). I have a 2009 Accord LX 4-door. It just has the standard factory head unit installed, no nav or SAT (XM). While recently getting some work done on my car, i had a rental for a couple weeks, which had satellite radio. And I was sold. I really want sateillite for my accord. Only problem is, like i said, it doesn't have the XM button. My question is, if I found a honda head unit with the XM button on it, would I be able to swap out the head unit that I have with the other unit with the XM button on it? Is this feasible? Also, would anybody know where I could find said head unit? OR, what are my options to modify existing installation? I want to keep factory look intact as much as possible. Thanks in advance for the input!!

Old 01-20-2012, 08:25 AM
Senior Member Stereo Guru..Almost A Mod :)

xm is more than a head unit. it requires a special intena as well. you could probably swap out and then buy the xm kit from honda which I would imagine would cost a fortune or you could go to best buy and buy an xm kit and you would have a little module that you ould hook into your aux port on your head unit. I am sure there is one that works with the honda head unit through the aux as well that allows steering wheel integration. xm is a service too. there is a monthly fee.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator

agreed.

you could call your dealership and ask what it would cost to upgrade the head unit and install the factory XM antenna. I suspect it would be a grand or more.

you could try salvage yards but a car as new as yours won't likely be in a junk yard, as wrecked cars are bought and sold by insurance companies.

buying a stand alone XM/Sirius receiver is a good idea, there are several models to choose from. the only trick is finding a good spot for the receiver, mounting it, and running the wires. you can take the easy route which results in visible cables or take the custom route and hide all wiring. you won't have factory radio control over stations but your factory volume controls will still function.

if you visit Crutchfield.com you can see the current product models and browse features. Your local big box stores will also have a good product selection.