Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

V.I.Q. Needing Answers ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 05:30 PM

quick question for kicker L5 12" in ported box

my current amp?? the mono 1000w max California....or pioneer 760w?? nor exactly sure what model but based off a good guess which would be better?? in the long run...really in a few days ill have 2 L5s in a ported box so should i stick with mine or go ahead and get the pioneer amp so ill have more power for both of them??

Old 03-14-2009, 11:17 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Unless you plan on running both amps stick with the amp you already have. Macleod says they are rated true. Running two L7s on just one of those amps will be a mistake.

Old 03-15-2009, 02:28 PM

hmmm wat do u mean??...like itll be too much for the subs??..or is it a crappy amp?? cuz the guy said he wud trade me

Old 03-15-2009, 05:17 PM

I'm not sure how I can make it any clearer, but I'll give it a shot. The amp you have now is a good entry level amp and is rated true at 1000w. Trading that amp for the other amp is pointless. Not only is rated for less, but it's a pioneer, and pioneer amps are not all that great. Now if you want to run two L7s, then yes I would get that amp(if the price is right, and you can't afford something better) and run a sub off each amp. Running two L7s off one of those amps will be quieter, I don't know how many times I've got to tell you that, but this isn't the first or even second time. If you want another sub your going to have to double the power or at least get close, if not it won't be as loud and sound much worse. Under powering an L7 is going to really make it sound muddy and weak, even if there are 10 of them.

Old 03-18-2009, 01:20 AM

calm down dang your talking about L7...im talking about L5...lol...and im also talkin about having the 760w right now an then when i get the second L5 then getting a slightly higher rated amp...calm down...lol..u had me all mixed up and my amp is not true rated at 1000w its rated 500w rms at 2ohm...so yea...but u dont have to apoligize cuz things get misunderstood all the time...but yea i never winded up trading him i just traded another guy something for a probox so my L5 HIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTSSSSSSSSS..LOL

Old 03-18-2009, 01:31 AM

Doesn't matter what sub it is, X amount of power to a single driver capable of handling that power will sound better and can be louder and usually is than two of the same drivers. Hooking both subs up temporarily will only decrease your SQ and probably your output. A Probox isn't going to sound any better than a properly built box. If you were to find out the specs that are best for an L5 you would actually bring out the best for your sub, especially in a ported box. A ported box really should be tuned to your specific driver and sound your looking for. So don't put too much emphasize on marketing.

Old 03-18-2009, 01:46 AM

Also Pioneer's amps are no better than their speakers. I don't think they are too underrated, but I know they can't really cleanly put out what they say they can. Macleod has said your amp is a good amp, I'm not familiar with it, but I would take his word for it. Numbers are just that, numbers. Not that I think your amp is overrated, but will definitely put out a clean 500w

Last edited by t00fatt; 03-18-2009 at 01:50 AM.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:51 AM

well no sir actually my box is 3.0 cu ft and it is ported plus its a probox...in that order not the other way around...the guy didnt no shyt about cu ft i asked him what its tuned to and he said an L7...lmao!!!....so i measured it myself multiplied the results and divded by 1728 if im not mistakin and got my cu ft....3.0 exactly which is the maximum amount for a kicker L5 06 model 12" in a ported enclosure....trust me...ive done my research!!..lol...and as for the amps..ok thats good info that way i can steer clear of those...and this is wat u have to understand...i figure get by for now then upgrade later rather than save up now have nothing until later...only with car audio tho...

Old 03-18-2009, 01:52 AM

now as far as what the box is tuned to...in hz im not positive...but i know the other kicker box i had was 2.9 cu ft and its a custom kicker market box...so im good on space...just not 100 on actual hz tuning

Old 03-18-2009, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by AccordLXMaster
Hmmmm .... a few points/corrections: You don't have to remove any stock grounding straps, but with the upgraded grounding, you may remove any for aesthetic purposes. Technically, the more metal, the better the ground.
That doesn't mean that;s the sweet spot, the sweet spot for a 12" CVX in a sealed is 1.2ft^3, where is the min is 1.0 and I don't know the maximum. Every sub has it's sweet spot. Also with a ported not only does the size, and tuned frequency matter, but also the type of port. A square and circular port do not sound the same. Unless your trying to squeeze every last DB out of your sub your really should run it in a sealed. A ported box should really only be used by someone who can build their own box, or a low powered system and needs the efficiency of a ported. Buying premade ported boxes usually is a mistake, especially since with a ported your trying to go after every dB you can get.

EDIT: And I'm not a big fan of those kicker boxes, I knew this kid with two L7s and would blow a panel off the box every couple of weeks, and just because they are made form kicker doesn't mean they are tuned to that sweet spot. I found out my sweet spot from someone who was competing with a CVX.