Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

What size speakers are in the front of...

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 02:11 AM
Default What size speakers are in the front of...

In my '99 Honda accord, what is the front speaker size? I have tweets in the dash and the mid's are in the door panels. And I was wondering on how easy or hard it would be to replace those myself? Is the door panel easy to take off? And how would I get to the tweeter? I really want to get this rockford component set for the front, cause they sound really good for the price! And get their 6 x 9's for the rear, I think that's what they are anyway.

Old 02-26-2011, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator

About 6" inch factory speakers. Depth of about 2". You can't reuse the factory mount or the factory screw locations.

Aftermarket 6.5" speaker next to a Factory speaker
Name:  Copyofdoordeadening003.jpg
Views: 3594
Size:  81.3 KB

Name:  Copyofdoordeadening002.jpg
Views: 1954
Size:  69.8 KB

To use a deeper speaker you need to make a baffle to gain depth and a rigid mounting surface. The link below describes how to make a baffle. Ensure you get a good seal between the speaker and the door panel or you will have poor midbass response.

Tweeter just pops out - carefully pry it from the middle and it will come out - just held with a few plastic clips.

Door panel is easy to remove.
#1 remove the screw holding the door handle cup. you need to pry back the plastic cover.
#2 after the screw is removed, push the handle cup forward to release it. then disconnect the wire harness and unlock the metal rod.
#3 remove the screw in the middle pocket - pry back the plastic cover
#4 after the screw is removed, lift up on the piece (has window controls) and disconnect wire harness(es).
#5 remove the sail panel piece - just pries off
#6 remove the plastic plug (matches door panel color) located near the upper hinge
#7 pry loose the panel using a panel popping tool or carefully with your hands. there are 6-8 plastic clips holding the door on.
#8 once the door panel is loose, remove the courtesy light by giving a half turn.
#9 lift the panel up and then out to remove it. now you can access the speaker.

to reinstall panel, start by getting the top to seat properly against the window using the door lock as your guide. then do the reverse of above.

for images of how to install a speaker properly,
https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...t=32679&page=4

Last edited by keep_hope_alive; 02-26-2011 at 08:38 AM.