Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Where can i run my power wire?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive
Also, are you sure the speaker signals you tapped into didn't have a factory crossover on them already? for some reason, you have a very little output at low frequencies.
I'm really not sure on this one, how would i find this out? I tapped into the speaker wires coming right out from the headunit, so they are amped up.

to answer some more things...

1.Sub wiring could be bad but i doubt it, does speaker wire size play a large role? I think im running 14 or 12awg wire from the amp to sub. Too small? its like 3-4 ft of wire so pretty short...

2.This could be the cause as it is an unknown brand to me. i don't know what this amplifier is puttin out for sure.

3. if using the pre amp RCA output from my 4 channel amplifier, will that cause trouble?

To answer the cleansweep questions... I am using the cleansweep master volume control to change the volume. I have tried calibrating at lower volume, but then overall volume is greatly decreased. it may just have to be a negative effect i have to deal with haha.

BTW I swapped out my 8awg power wire with the new 4awg wire, and also added a 100amp ANL fuse. Plus put in a 2awg, 19inch battery ground wire. No noticeable results from any of that.... Alt whine is still present too

Last edited by austinman3214; 06-02-2010 at 10:40 PM.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:20 PM

So i'm still having some trouble... is there somewhere i can test other amps out?

Old 06-18-2010, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by austinman3214
I'm really not sure on this one, how would i find this out? I tapped into the speaker wires coming right out from the headunit, so they are amped up.

to answer some more things...

1.Sub wiring could be bad but i doubt it, does speaker wire size play a large role? I think im running 14 or 12awg wire from the amp to sub. Too small? its like 3-4 ft of wire so pretty short...

2.This could be the cause as it is an unknown brand to me. i don't know what this amplifier is puttin out for sure.

3. if using the pre amp RCA output from my 4 channel amplifier, will that cause trouble?

To answer the cleansweep questions... I am using the cleansweep master volume control to change the volume. I have tried calibrating at lower volume, but then overall volume is greatly decreased. it may just have to be a negative effect i have to deal with haha.

BTW I swapped out my 8awg power wire with the new 4awg wire, and also added a 100amp ANL fuse. Plus put in a 2awg, 19inch battery ground wire. No noticeable results from any of that.... Alt whine is still present too
1. 14-12awg wire is fine. no worries there.

2. cheap amplifiers can cause all kinds of issues. reminde me the brand/model number.

3. you can certainly use the RCA outputs from the 4 channel amp. make sure there isn't a crossover set on the outputs (some have a selectable switch). make/model of the 4 channel? Power Acoustik?

i think calibrating clean sweep at 60-70% volume is your best bet for signal/noise ratio.

you redid your battery ground, it's now 19" long and is grounded where? pic?

pic of the amp ground connection?

sometimes i have to upgrade the head unit ground to eliminate whine and noises due to a difference between amp and head unit grounds.

and sometimes, cheap amps suck. they can be noisy and sound poor. there is a reason why a $1000 Audison LRx is so nice.

Old 06-19-2010, 11:32 PM

the amplifier for the subs is the eclipse XA1200. all my big audio equipment is in my sig.

thats right its the Power Acoustik stax 1600/4

I'll get some pictures up tomorrow of most everything once it gets light out again.

Old 06-20-2010, 02:35 AM
Super Moderator

ah, i see it in your sig now. thanks for clarifying, i generally don't look at sigs, moving to quickly.

Old 06-24-2010, 12:41 PM

You know what... I'm just going to go with the sub is an entry level sorta deal so its not going to be super loud anyways. and also the cleansweep is the issue with my aux in bass response vs. CD bass reproduction (which is higher if you forgot).

what else is there besides the cleansweep? I'd like an aux in and a sub out...

Old 06-25-2010, 07:14 AM
Super Moderator

Besides clean sweep, there are a host of other products on the market lately. Alpine, JBL, MTX, Audio Control, etc. all have OEM interface products