Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Where to start? 2007 EX-L V6 w/ Nav

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 06:30 PM
Default Where to start? 2007 EX-L V6 w/ Nav

Hi Everyone! I'm new to these forums and to car audio, but not audio gear in general. I could use some help/recommendations.

I drive a 2007 EX-L V6 w/ Nav with 6 speakers, 2 front, 2 rear, 2 dash tweeters. Everything is stock other than the GTA CarKit AUX adapter I installed a few years back.

SQ is alright, but leaves a lot to be desired. Significant distortion above 75% volume, front door speakers rattle the panels, seriously lacking in mid-bass, etc... I want to start my journey into car audio, but many of the projects around here are intimidating for a first-timer.

In the long-term I want (I think): OEM radio, component fronts, and a rear sub. For that, I would need (again, I think): 2 replacement front speakers, 2 replacement tweeters, external crossovers, an LOC for connecting to the factory radio, a four channel amp for connecting all the front speakers, wiring?, a mono amp and subwoofer.

I can't afford everything at once, so where is the best place to start?

I was thinking front speakers. Crutchfield has a number of "compatible" component kits (speakers, tweeters, crossovers) in the $100-250 range from brands I've come to like (Focal, Infinity, JL). Not that I would necessarily buy from them, but if I went that route would I need an amp right off the bat? Or could the factory amp get me by for a while?

Speaking of amps, is 4 channel the way to go? With an upgrade path something like:
1) 2 channels driving the front 4, 2 channels driving the rear deck
2) 2 channels driving the front 4, 2 channels bridged driving a sub
3) All 4 channels for the front 4, and a separate mono amp for the sub

I'm open to any and all suggestions as I am quite new here. I'd like my initial investment to be less than $300. Recommendations in terms of what to do first, best speakers and/or amps, additional component I may have overlooked would all be appreciated!

Old 03-09-2017, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Revilloc11
Hi Everyone! I'm new to these forums and to car audio, but not audio gear in general. I could use some help/recommendations.

I drive a 2007 EX-L V6 w/ Nav with 6 speakers, 2 front, 2 rear, 2 dash tweeters. Everything is stock other than the GTA CarKit AUX adapter I installed a few years back.

SQ is alright, but leaves a lot to be desired. Significant distortion above 75% volume, front door speakers rattle the panels, seriously lacking in mid-bass, etc... I want to start my journey into car audio, but many of the projects around here are intimidating for a first-timer.

In the long-term I want (I think): OEM radio, component fronts, and a rear sub. For that, I would need (again, I think): 2 replacement front speakers, 2 replacement tweeters, external crossovers, an LOC for connecting to the factory radio, a four channel amp for connecting all the front speakers, wiring?, a mono amp and subwoofer.

I can't afford everything at once, so where is the best place to start?

I was thinking front speakers. Crutchfield has a number of "compatible" component kits (speakers, tweeters, crossovers) in the $100-250 range from brands I've come to like (Focal, Infinity, JL). Not that I would necessarily buy from them, but if I went that route would I need an amp right off the bat? Or could the factory amp get me by for a while?

Speaking of amps, is 4 channel the way to go? With an upgrade path something like:
1) 2 channels driving the front 4, 2 channels driving the rear deck
2) 2 channels driving the front 4, 2 channels bridged driving a sub
3) All 4 channels for the front 4, and a separate mono amp for the sub

I'm open to any and all suggestions as I am quite new here. I'd like my initial investment to be less than $300. Recommendations in terms of what to do first, best speakers and/or amps, additional component I may have overlooked would all be appreciated!
sorry for the delay.

Thank you for the questions.

I always start with speakers as that is where sound quality is primarily found. i also amplify speakers as a rule because aftermarket speakers sound worse on factory power.

that said, taking bass out of the factory speakers and adding a sub can be a quick solution to better sound.

the best value you will find will be a 4 channel amp and a sub. powering the factory speakers with the front 2 channels and bridging the rear 2 channels for the sub will work well for now. find a 4 channel amp with high-level inputs so you don't need an external LOC.

later, you can replace the front component speakers. and further down the road you can get a dedicated sub amp.