Detailing Discuss detailing your Accord within.

Another Wet Paint Believer! 2013 Accord Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by technobie
I have been a long time Zaino user
Just FYI, Duragloss makes Zaino's products so if you like the wash, Duragloss 901 is the same thing, just red with a different scent. Aquawax = Z8 and the leather conditioners are the same, smell the same too.

Your car looks great btw!

Old 01-21-2014, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by stang99x
Just an FYI, Dawn dish soap or any other kitchen soap is just about the worst possible thing you can use as a car wash soap. Very bad idea.
Agreed. Hard on plastics and rubber trim.

Originally Posted by ccarney
Dawn is used to strip wax by some detailers. I wouldn't say it is worse thing to use on your car, just need to know what you are doing with it.
Some detailers...yeah. Been doing this professionally for 20 years now and I've never done a dawn wash. That didn't even start until Zaino repackaged Duragloss products and started the whole dawn wash thing.

It isn't the worst thing you can do but there isn't any need to strip whats on the car if you are going to polish anyway.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:27 AM

They was penguins and seals after oil spills in dawn, people stick their hands in it all the time. Dawn does not ruin paint, it not putting a sealant/wax on after washing a car with dawn that leaves the paint exposed. I use Chemical Guys Citrus wash clear mixed strong to strip the wax.
Scottwax - You got 20 years experience have you tried WetPaint? I stay away from the stuff, almost seems like WetPaint is only big with the Honda crowd.

Old 01-22-2014, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by ccarney
They was penguins and seals after oil spills in dawn, people stick their hands in it all the time. Dawn does not ruin paint, it not putting a sealant/wax on after washing a car with dawn that leaves the paint exposed. I use Chemical Guys Citrus wash clear mixed strong to strip the wax.
Scottwax - You got 20 years experience have you tried WetPaint? I stay away from the stuff, almost seems like WetPaint is only big with the Honda crowd.
Once or twice with Dawn won't ruin paint but its best to use a wash (like Chemical Guys) to wash if you need the extra cutting power.

I remember when Finish First was huge on h-a.net and the admin was pushing it hard. Never even heard of WetPaint, not been mentioned on any detailing forum I'm on. Mostly use Meguiars (M100 is a great compound!), Optimum and HD polishes and compounds now, 95% of the time I use Opti-Seal as my LSP. Been doing a lot of Opti-Coat jobs lately, several Teslas, got a BMW 640 and a Lexus IS350F lined up this weekend for paint corrections and Opti-Coat.

Old 01-26-2014, 01:29 AM
Administrator
Talking

Originally Posted by Scottwax
Once or twice with Dawn won't ruin paint but its best to use a wash (like Chemical Guys) to wash if you need the extra cutting power.

I remember when Finish First was huge on h-a.net and the admin was pushing it hard. Never even heard of WetPaint, not been mentioned on any detailing forum I'm on. Mostly use Meguiars (M100 is a great compound!), Optimum and HD polishes and compounds now, 95% of the time I use Opti-Seal as my LSP. Been doing a lot of Opti-Coat jobs lately, several Teslas, got a BMW 640 and a Lexus IS350F lined up this weekend for paint corrections and Opti-Coat.

Thanks for your input on this..

Old 06-26-2014, 07:33 PM
Unregistered

Hows the protection compared to zaino and other product? Also If I do some layering is there any curing time before applying for a second coat?

Old 06-27-2014, 01:32 AM
Administrator

Not-ah You can put it on right after the first coat..if your arms not tired..

Old 06-27-2014, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by accorder69
Hows the protection compared to zaino and other product? Also If I do some layering is there any curing time before applying for a second coat?
There is a big difference between durability (which Zaino has) and protection (which Zaino has very little), so its better to go with protection over durability. Can't tell you the number of posts I've seen on forums over the years I've seen that start off with "I have ____ layers of Zaino on my car and a bird bomb still got through it". And no product really layers, doesn't work like that. They all have petroleum distillates, silicones, etc to make the product easier to use which will also remove some (if not all) of what is already on the car. Products do not film build, you can put 50 "layers" on a car and it won't be any thicker than maybe 1.5 true layers. So much misinformation and outright lies about some products out there.