Detailing Discuss detailing your Accord within.

best way to wash my engine??

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 08:31 PM
Default best way to wash my engine??

hey guys,my high mileage accord EX really needs the engine compartment and engine cleaned bad. first off will it hurt to wash the engine? if not whats the best way? and whats the best method to use to keep from drowning anything out? thanks

Old 12-07-2012, 04:50 AM
Super Moderator

I'll tell you what my wrenching mentor told me back in something like 1976. He showed me the engine of a Chevy pickup truck which was covered in a thick layer of sand, and oil due to tens of thousands of miles of driving in desert environs with an oil leak. The leak had since been fixed and the engine ran smooth as silk but it was dirty as hell, and he asked me what I'd do to it. I told him I'd probaby take it to one of those DIY car wash places and power wash it down. "Wrong" he told me, "if it ain't broke, don't [censored] with it."

Old 12-07-2012, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Many people safely wash their engines regularly. The key is not to get too close to anything w/ a high pressure washer and to be careful where you spray. I like to use a generous spray of cleaner/degreaser (Simple Green works for me) to soften up deposits, then use pressure washer (not too close!) to wash parts that are not sensitive to water. Stay away from distributor and alternator w/ any direct spray. Some place a plastic bag wrap over the distributor.

I try to clean the worst spots and not get too aggresive w/ trying to get every spot.

Only wash a cold engine. Warm outside conditions help. I allow to air dry and then drive to warm/dry completely.

Shipo's advice is good if you're working on someone else's car, however depending on the job (cylinder head removal for instance), pre-cleaning can lead to better repair (avoiding dirt into engine).

good luck

Old 12-07-2012, 05:08 PM

thanks guys, i'll probably cover some things with plastic before I begain

Old 12-07-2012, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator

Again, depends on the "build up" but I have washed/cleaned mine serveral times.....and just a TX said, I've done this before starting a job - before "going in" for a TB job and a leaking oil pump o-ring, I cleaned the end of the engine so I didn't have to deal with the mess.

I use the engine cleaners found in the aftermarket and a hose.....most of the time I take the nozzle off the hose and just use the running water....again no high pressure.

Just me

Old 02-08-2013, 06:25 PM

I take off the cold air filter and cover the 3 inch hole with a plastic bag. I spray it all down along with my tires and 18 inch rims with degreaser and let it soak a few minutes and then spray it off quickly but thoroughly with the car wash pressure sprayer and let it dry while i clean the rest of my pretty car

Old 02-09-2013, 11:20 AM

the only thing you need to wrap is ur distrib cap and make sure its tight.. besides that cover your intake also. use degreaser and scrub lightly on the parts that need it the worst. for water? you dont want to use a lot of pressure. use like a shower hose setting and just rinse everything down.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:31 PM

In the professional industry, we do as best as we can to refrain from engine cleaning. There are way to many electronic components in there these days for the average joe to be using a pressure washer to clean it. Most often, the cleanest engine bays are from used car lots with stuff to hide. I've also seen older cars end up with water in bad places due to old, dry rotted vac lines. Avoid it if you can, if you must clean it, use the lightest pressure possible and stay as far away from the bay as you can. You may get wet, but the engine will thank you for it later.

The best offense, is a good defense. Don't let it get dirty, and don't use tire shine like products that help dirt adhere to surfaces.