Detailing Discuss detailing your Accord within.

Car Seat Fabric Cleaning Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 12:25 AM
Default Car Seat Fabric Cleaning Questions

Hey,

I have a 1997 Accord SE with just the base "fabric" seats. I say "fabric," though, because it isn't actually cloth fabric; it's some sort of fuzzier material, and although I feel dumb for asking the question, does anyone know what that type of "fabric" would be called? I'm thinking it might be velour but I'm not positive.

The next question I have, is: With the type of material it is, in mind, how would you recommend I clean it? The car smells a bit, and I'm thinking that the seats are one big source of that smell, so I want to deep clean them. On one car detailing forum, a guy used a pressure washer and special fabric cleaner, but that was true cloth fabric and not this other type of material. Pressure washing just seems a bit overpowered, but I still do want a deep clean.

Thanks,
HockeyDeeWall

Old 02-08-2012, 08:00 AM

I don't know what the actual material is but I know what you're talking about. I remember I had to deep clean mine a little while back, the whole passenger seat after my ex decided the excess amount of alcohol had to come out of her stomach quickly while the windows was still closed.

Anyway, the best way to do it, one of those dish scrubbers, gotta be a little harsh but not like the super harsh ones, that'll just ruin your seat, some dishwasher soap and water. Get to work and make sure to scrub well. Once done, go to the local gas station, and vacuum it thoroughly. You'd be amazed how clean it gets and no your car won't smell like palmolive.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:25 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Any non-abrasive cleaner will work. Try to let them dry for a bit though, or else itll start smelling bad in your car.

And definitely vacuum them.

+1 to the seats being a big source of the smell, the carpet is also another culprit.

Old 04-26-2013, 06:39 PM

I have removed the seat covers and washed them in a regular clothes washer with "woolite". You basically have to remove the seats to get the covers off. Its a little tricky, especially in the regard that you have to disconnect the wiring under the front seats. the hardest one to properly disconnect is the airbag connector. I reccomend disconnecting the neg battery terminal first. Once you get the front seats out, taking the covers off is not that hard. They wash-up real nice in the washing machine, and the final spin renders them almost dry. Since the seats are out, you can do an unbelievably thorough carpet vacuuming, shampooing. Or, order a new carpet kit !